The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Playing outside - Pat Martino / John Coltrane style half step - BELOW CHORD - on C Blues

This is something I heard Pat Martino do years ago. I think it was from a Don Patterson recording of Blue-n-Boogie. This isn't a transcription but I'm borrowing the concept. Of course, he took this from Coltrane and
    probably McCoy Tyner.

The more common sub when playing over V-I chord progressions (in C blues, the C7 to F7 is a V-I relationship) you more commonly see folks playing a min ii-5 a 1/2 step up. This is routinely called the tritone ii-5 where in C blues, you would be a Dbm7-Gb7 leading to F(7). However, in this case this lick is inpired by, what Martino did was play over a min7 chord a 1/2 step below the chord. So he played essentially a Bm7-E7 leading to the F7. It's very cool sounding. It's not part of functional harmony because it's out but it works because of tension and resolution and is a play on standard blues progressions and swing era chord progressions that routinely slide into a chord from a 1/2 step below.

In the first 6 bars of blues, I'm starting bar 3 by playing over Bm7 and then E7 before transitioning to F7 in bar 5.

#sheetsofsound
    #powerjazz
    #jazzguitarlessons #guitarlessons
    #jazzguitar #modernjazzguitar #jazzguitarriffs
    #gibson175 #gibsonarchtop
    #PatMartino #JohnColtrane

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Cool. Very useful point of entry to outside sounds.