The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Beautiful sound. Incredible performance! Bravo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charlieparker
    Beautiful sound. Incredible performance! Bravo.
    Im very grateful when anyone out there enjoys this approach to playing where it’s just sounds- no song or compositions involved.

User Info Menu

I look forward to these natural gems of yours. This one has a lasting reverberation and a thoughtful confluence of harmony, melody, space, surprise and intentional design. I do think of these as compositions and this one has been a delight to experience. It works together in most unexpected ways.
    Thank you

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    I look forward to these natural gems of yours. This one has a lasting reverberation and a thoughtful confluence of harmony, melody, space, surprise and intentional design. I do think of these as compositions and this one has been a delight to experience. It works together in most unexpected ways.
    Thank you
    Thanks so much. When I do this with my cellist friend it works the same way. Forms take shape out of an apparent nothingness. I’d love to do this with a quartet or larger group if like minded improvisers for an entire evening performance like this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    Thanks so much. When I do this with my cellist friend it works the same way. Forms take shape out of an apparent nothingness. I’d love to do this with a quartet or larger group if like minded improvisers for an entire evening performance like this.
    I've written pieces for this kind of format. Written parts, some based on Modus Novus, some all original, and they are the cues from which free improvisation is based, and they contain cues that are strong enough that they form the structure for larger pieces.
    Are you familiar with the work Bill Frisell did with his Quartet with 2 violins and Cello?
    In a live performance, the music is sublime.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    I've written pieces for this kind of format. Written parts, some based on Modus Novus, some all original, and they are the cues from which free improvisation is based, and they contain cues that are strong enough that they form the structure for larger pieces.
    Are you familiar with the work Bill Frisell did with his Quartet with 2 violins and Cello?
    In a live performance, the music is sublime.
    I’d love to hear your pieces! I’d have to dig for that Frisell material, it’s been years since I eblistend to anything by him. Still, I think you know what I’m getting at. No cues, maps, or symbols of any kind. No words allowed either. Just play and listen. Only music spoken to be self guiding.

User Info Menu

Beautiful

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jumpnblues
    Beautiful
    Thanks!!

User Info Menu

I think jbn is referring to the 858 quartet, which was used in two studio recording (Richter 858 and Signs of Life). There is also at least one live show with that lineup available through Bill's website; IIRC it's Beatles/John Lennon tunes. It's a wonderful combination.

Mark, I always keep an eye out for these videos. Especially like this one, I enjoy getting lost in the tone without having to focus on song structures, just letting it wash over me. Like many people, I have played this sort of thing at home for my own enjoyment for a many years, but I've always figured nobody else would have any interest in hearing it. I think you prove that assumption wrong. Thank you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I think jbn is referring to the 858 quartet, which was used in two studio recording (Richter 858 and Signs of Life). There is also at least one live show with that lineup available through Bill's website; IIRC it's Beatles/John Lennon tunes. It's a wonderful combination.

Mark, I always keep an eye out for these videos. Especially like this one, I enjoy getting lost in the tone without having to focus on song structures, just letting it wash over me. Like many people, I have played this sort of thing at home for my own enjoyment for a many years, but I've always figured nobody else would have any interest in hearing it. I think you prove that assumption wrong. Thank you!
    Thank you! These sound-wash pieces have evolved considerably since 2020 lockdown days with the shift toward solo playing for hours on end. There was also a shift in the very concept of “sharable” art as creating videos replaced gigging. These became my primary outlet and even though the pandemic is over, I haven’t gone back out to playing live. If and when I do, I imagine attempting to do these sorts of non-tune pieces rather than the songbook per se. I don’t know if it would engage folks for 50 straight minutes, maybe,’with a little hypnosis thrown in.