The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 46 of 46

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    I like 3 against 4, it's like Calypso :-)
    I am talking about quarter notes not eighth notes.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit View Post
    Nobody ever asked George Van Eps that question…
    Yes, a seven string would be very useful in a guitar/horn duet but I didn't/don't have one. These days, if asked, I'd probably just use the Boss pedal for sub-E2 bass notes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C View Post
    Yes, a seven string would be very useful in a guitar/horn duet but I didn't/don't have one. These days, if asked, I'd probably just use the Boss pedal for sub-E2 bass notes.
    I would try 654 triads.

Example G6
    322xxx

User Info Menu

^ I haven't played it for years, but on a tune like Ain't Misbehavin' in Eb you could get some girth by fretting a drop 2, but you may not wish to be limited to that voicing and anyway some walking bass works nicely in a duet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    This argument is boring.
    Speak for yourself

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    Speak for yourself
    Ummm, I did?

User Info Menu

Ummm, I did?
    A fair point

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    Peace is within yourself, not between you and someone else.
    I've been thinking about this recently. Whether to try to be benign regardless of circumstances. I came to the conclusion that I disagree. There's bad in the world, and you have to defend yourself sometimes, but it's still your responsibility to be good in general and cultivate your well being and good with others if possible.

User Info Menu

Ummm, I did?
    Actually do you think we could cultivate this little side plot into a more interesting argument?

or nah?

User Info Menu

Actually do you think we could cultivate this little side plot into a more interesting argument?

or nah?
    I’d rather spend the time learning the tune. Maybe you can come back tomorrow and flame my video, sounds good?

User Info Menu

I’d rather spend the time learning the tune. Maybe you can come back tomorrow and flame my video, sounds good?
    Excellent points all around.

User Info Menu

^ Nice going there Allan.

User Info Menu

I could do a better job on the Head, Ragman is right the syncopation on this is crazy. Having it go from the and of 4 to beat 2 in bar 6 is tricky. I also like the slower take Monk does on the 5 by 5 album over the quicker Milestones tempo.

You did a solid take though.

ragman is right, the syncopation on this is crazy.
    It is. I find it's not bad tho if you memorize the phrasing and then just do it rather than trying to calculate all the placement.

Having it go from the and of 4 to beat 2 in bar 6 is tricky.
    The part that gets me the most is the last chromatic line with the entrance, pauses, it lying off of the beat, and then all the space at the end trying to keep track of where the 1 will land at the top.

I also like the slower take Monk does on the 5 by 5 album over the quicker Milestones tempo.
    I agree, I like the sneaky slower tempo takes too.

I could do a better job on the head.
    I guess you didn't phrase the head totally right. I thought your take had good continuity tho which is the most important thing to me.

Thx, I've been working on rhythm and time feel both practicing and in the mix. I also tried to throw some references in there for Reg.
    Last edited by Bobby Timmons; 06-10-2024 at 03:16 PM.

User Info Menu

I could do a better job on the Head, Ragman is right the syncopation on this is crazy. Having it go from the and of 4 to beat 2 in bar 6 is tricky. I also like the slower take Monk does on the 5 by 5 album over the quicker Milestones tempo.

Beat four to the and of one, no?

User Info Menu

Beat four to the and of one, no?

Probably, it's for sure before the one for a while and then comes in after the one in bar 6.

Does anyone want to call the next tune?

User Info Menu

I was going to say Sally's Blues but I don't thinks its blues changes. So, I nominate Blues March, or Mr PC.

User Info Menu

If only there were a blues written specifically in the Key of C...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    If only there were a blues written specifically in the Key of C...
    Or at least they could put it in the name so we’d know