The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 46

User Info Menu

Our blues for the week is Straight No Chaser, and our key is B.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Look on the bright side, the next one's in C :-)

Always look for the silver lining, and try to find the sunny side of life.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    Look on the bright side, the next one's in C :-)
    Keys don’t matter

User Info Menu

Keep in mind kids, if you ever call Straight No Chaser in B, you're going home with a tenor sax wrapped around your neck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Keep in mind kids, if you ever call Straight No Chaser in B, you're going home with a tenor sax wrapped around your neck.
    Yeah, puts them in C#, ouch!

User Info Menu

A horn player once asked me if I couldn't provide a little more "low end" in Eb. This was before Boss invented the polyphonic OC3 octave pedal. He didn't ask me again.

User Info Menu

Oh I should do that, then I can give them the “in jazz, we play in all 12 keys” bit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    Keys don’t matter
    Actually they do. Different keys have different moods. You can ruin a good tune by using the wrong key for it.

B is quite a 'bright' key. A lot of bluegrass is played in B (G, capo 4) and it sounds great. Jazz, I'm not sure about. Bb is Monk's key for this but Bobby wants to practice the piano. Of course, it's a lot easier on guitar, you just shift positions, essentially.

And the head for this tune is insane, but that's another matter. In any case, I've already done it in B just to be nice.

PS. Did you spot on that first video at about 1.25 he played the head of Misterioso?

User Info Menu

George Coleman is known for having challenged a lot of folks by calling Cherokee in B. If you failed you would go home with his tenor wrapped around your neck.

User Info Menu

Hey, everybody can be a dick now and then

I thought maybe on week 3 ragman would stop drumming up strange bs precedents that were never stated to argue about but I guess not. ragman what gives? Is this badger the host now for somehow tacitly doing something wrong? I'm not going to stand for this every week, I'll tell you that..

Actually they do. Different keys have different moods. You can ruin a good tune by using the wrong key for it.
    I've been playing through every key for 3 years now. I've never once thought a tune was 'ruined'. Maybe different keys won't work for instruments where range is a concern like voice or horn, but to me the different character of different keys always sounds beautiful with tunes.

B is quite a 'bright' key. A lot of bluegrass is played in B (G, capo 4) and it sounds great. Jazz, I'm not sure about.
    Yes ragman. You can't play jazz in B. Wtf kind of nonsense is that? Bud Powell must not know shit since he wrote Celia in B.

Bb is Monk's key for this
    Yes, we're being blasphemous against Monk if we transpose any of his tunes. He would have been against basic music fundamentals like transposing. Like you care so much about the artistic integrity of Monk tune renditions.

but Bobby wants to practice the piano.
    We're going thru the keys for you guys' benefit. I don't need a jam on the forum to drive my own practice. I go thru the keys independently regardless.

In any case, I've already done it in B just to be nice.
    Oh thx so much for doing something which is for your benefit and I stated is optional. I really needed you to do that for me.

PS. Did you spot on that first video at about 1.25 he played the head of Misterioso?
    Yep, nice going on that catch.
    Last edited by Bobby Timmons; 06-09-2024 at 01:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C View Post
    A horn player once asked me if I couldn't provide a little more "low end" in Eb.
    Nobody ever asked George Van Eps that question…

JGO Virtual 'Bluez' Jam (Round 3) - Straight No Chaser-img_1850-jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C View Post
    A horn player once asked me if I couldn't provide a little more "low end" in Eb. This was before Boss invented the polyphonic OC3 octave pedal. He didn't ask me again.
    You can't use inversions? :P

User Info Menu

ragman1: "And the head for this tune is insane"

Bobby Timmons: "Insane? You might want to work on your technical skills."

Is that insane as in: (a) difficult to play or (b) strange? Shouldn't be #1 unless you don't practice playing chromatic lines, or are trying to play it extremely fast.

ragman1: "Different keys have different moods. You can ruin a good tune by using the wrong key for it."

One man's ruin is another's fixer-upper, playing a tune in an uncommon key can be an interesting challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit View Post
    Nobody ever asked George Van Eps that question.
    Cheater!

We can of course tune down our instruments or better yet, tell the saxophone player to retune his.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    Is that insane as in: (a) difficult to play or (b) strange? Shouldn't be #1 unless you don't practice playing chromatic lines, or are trying to play it extremely fast.

ragman, the proof is not in the pudding that B is an inferior sounding and therefore playing key just because you never practice in all keys and get your fluency up.

User Info Menu

Bobby, I'm not replying to your rants. They're argumentative and neurotic. If I think Monk's head is a bit crazy - which I've no doubt it is, he was strange man - I'll say so.

I have to tell you, when I saw this at the start (your bold):

Guess what? I'm in charge now mofos!
    I thought oops, this is the guy who thinks everyone's strawmanning him or whatever the other crazy things were.

But learn this. You're in charge of posting the threads and organising the songs. But if you imagine for one moment you're in charge of me, or anybody else, you better think again.

Got it? I hope so! Don't start trouble and then blame the other person. It only spoils the atmosphere. I never thought of you once when I was writing that. If you get a reaction take a deep breath before you start ranting. If you want my advice. Seriously.

User Info Menu

This argument is boring.

You've been the one who's instigated all along for the past 3 weeks and I've been slow to escalate if you go back and reread it. You must be joking trying to construe me as the antagonist. I think you need to calm down. Saying I said I'm in charge of you is absolutely a straw man. Did I say 'I'm in charge of all of you now!' ? No. The meaning of that was I'm running the jam now. Mr B and you both chose to quit and noone else took charge, remember?

That's fine. I know you like to discuss things. What was bothering me is you were taking these benign specifics that I posted and blowing them up into offenses supposedly committed by me. If you want to discuss then just discuss.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    Is that insane as in: (a) difficult to play or (b) strange?
    Strange, over-syncopated.

One man's ruin is another's fixer-upper, playing a tune in an uncommon key can be an interesting challenge.
    Playing in uncommon keys can be interesting but I was only talking about the guitar. It's actually largely irrelevant which key it's in. But on the guitar some tunes just feel 'right' and others don't. It's a fact.

Re. keys, take something like Round Midnight or Lush Life. Why do you think Monk or Strayhorn decided to do them in Db, major and minor? Why not in C and make them a lot easier to play? I suggest very strongly because those keys brought a particular mood with them.

Db maj when played by Bb instruments is B (Cb), of course. That just occurred to me :-)
    Last edited by ragman1; 06-18-2024 at 06:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Strange, over-syncopated.[...]
    Think 3/4 over 4/4. That should unlock it.

EDIT: I should rather say: Trying to see the 3/4 phrases against 4/4 measures will help you understand the tune. "Thinking 3/4 over 4/4" is easier said than done at first.

I haven't tried this tune for a while myself but I had always problems to get it right. Although I know it for ca. 35 years from a live recording with Monk on a Miles Davis compilation, Newport probably ...

Recently I have practiced "inside my head only" away from the guitar a lot of simpler 3/4 against 4/4 phrases. I should revisit Straight No Chaser and see if it works better now. (My practice was inspired by things I read about the Tristano school BTW, especially the teachings of Warne Marsh.)
    Last edited by Bop Head; 06-09-2024 at 01:38 PM.

No, Bobby, nothing to do with you at all. That's the whole point, it really is. I just said what I wanted because that's how I felt about it. Nothing to do with anybody else. Why would it be?

I'm done arguing if you're done not arguing.
    Last edited by Bobby Timmons; 06-09-2024 at 02:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head View Post
    Think 3/4 over 4/4. That should unlock it.

EDIT: I should rather say: Trying to see the 3/4 phrases against 4/4 measures will help you understand the tune. "Thinking 3/4 over 4/4" is easier said than done at first.

I haven't tried this tune for a while myself but I had always problems to get it right. Although I know it for ca. 35 years from a live recording with Monk on a Miles Davis compilation, Newport probably ...

Recently I have practiced "inside my head only" away from the guitar a lot of simpler 3/4 against 4/4 phrases. I should revisit Straight No Chaser and see if it works better now. (My practice was inspired by things I read about the Tristano school BTW, especially the teachings of Warne Marsh.)
    I like 3 against 4, it's like Calypso :-)