The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 90 of 90

User Info Menu

Rhythm Changes basically made me quit jazz guitar. It sounds amazing when the masters play it, but I could never pull it off with all those changes. I've tried other simpler approaches but I wasn't happy with them either.

If anyone starts a thread to work through rhythm changes where we post recordings, I might be interested.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    But I would still solo on the #ivo7 there bwahahahaha. (The melody as written in the RB is agnostic.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I just had the idea that one could justify that by the saying both chords come from the double diminished scale ... just kidding.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charlieparker View Post
    Rhythm Changes basically made me quit jazz guitar. It sounds amazing when the masters play it, but I could never pull it off with all those changes. I've tried other simpler approaches but I wasn't happy with them either.

If anyone starts a thread to work through rhythm changes where we post recordings, I might be interested.
    Well howdy …

Summer of Rhythm … Changes?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head View Post
    I just had the idea that one could justify that by the saying both chords come from the double diminished scale ... just kidding.
    GET. OUT.

User Info Menu

Something I just remembered

User Info Menu

Oh noes! I noticed I hadn't seen you around in a while. Don't quit. I think it's essential in all jazz to play with some harmonic grit. So you have to outline some of the changes and be able to play with some complexity and not only the major key center. But killing yourself with outlining all the changes is too difficult and disjunct. So ultimately it's a mix. Internalizing the tune and being able to throw in some complex stuff while also having the ease of the major key center. There was the thread of changes vs key center. I think rhythm changes is probably the most prime example of mixing both.

User Info Menu

Just play a Db in bar 6, bruv.

It'll be fine.

User Info Menu

There's this thread, but nobody is posting themselves playing... yet. I'll help you hijack it from the theory heads if you want.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post

There's this thread, but nobody is posting themselves playing... yet. I'll help you hijack it from the theory heads if you want.
    Be patient, my man. I’m on Db in my first pass through. A few more days and I’ll throw something up there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    Be patient, my man. I’m on Db in my first pass through. A few more days and I’ll throw something up there.
    That wasn't a dig, it's a perfectly fine archeological thread on Gershwin's changes. CharlieParker wants to post clips and get feedback and I think that'll also work there. I like the master thread approach instead of a bunch of showcase posts that get a like or single comment of "sounds good."

Also what do you mean Db? Are you doing 12 choruses?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    That wasn't a dig, it's a perfectly fine archeological thread on Gershwin's changes. CharlieParker wants to post clips and get feedback and I think that'll also work there. I like the master thread approach instead of a bunch of showcase posts that get a like or single comment of "sounds good."

Also what do you mean Db? Are you doing 12 choruses?
    Im going to play each one in twelve keys. So I’ll be back around to see shortly

and yes. Definitely anyone can post clips there. That would be excellent

User Info Menu

Hi folks, thank you very much for all the answers and comments. I feel I really got something form them...
    The new "SUMMER OF RHYTHM … CHANGES?" thread is also really a good thing!!

I decided to record me to play some RC and post it here, it was just one take and i made many mistakes there.... but I've tried my best and that's me....
    Comments and advices would be very very predicated. : )

User Info Menu

I've been using my looper wrong. What a great way to practice bass on the guitar. Thanks for that idea!

For what it's worth, that sounds like a jazz solo to me. Great flow in your playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peng1026 View Post
    It's pretty good, you have the makings of a good player.

One thing. All your solos were in the same area of the guitar and it can start to sound all the same. Starting low and working up is a good idea.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peng1026 View Post
    Hi folks, thank you very much for all the answers and comments. I feel I really got something form them...
    The new "SUMMER OF RHYTHM … CHANGES?" thread is also really a good thing!!

I decided to record me to play some RC and post it here, it was just one take and i made many mistakes there.... but I've tried my best and that's me....

Nice! Sounds good.

For the head, you might consider some slurs — hammers, pulls, one-fret slides.

It sounds like you’re picking every single note, which is impractical as the tempo increases on the tune (it’s one of the harder standard Bird heads, I think, or at least the one that gives me the most headaches), but more importantly isn’t the way a jazz player would articulate it for the most part.

Slurring into downbeats where possible (meaning you can’t slur when you cross strings, for example) is a good place to start. Alternatively a light accent on up beats, or some combination thereof. Not the end all be all, but it’s a good way to start it sounding a little more like you want it to.