The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

in
    , at 7.38 it's mentioned that using 3rd and 6th vocabulary is great to play on a blues. And this appears to be played at 2.35, 2.46 and 8.33.

Can someone explain how this is conceptualised? If it's a blues in F, what are the 3rds and 6ths built from (like what would sound nice / best and what notes would this be?) and can someone give just basically an explanation of how I can incorporate this as it's a sound I really like.

If you can link any more videos that would be great.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamiehenderson1993 View Post
    in
    , at 7.38 it's mentioned that using 3rd and 6th vocabulary is great to play on a blues. And this appears to be played at 2.35, 2.46 and 8.33.

Can someone explain how this is conceptualised? If it's a blues in F, what are the 3rds and 6ths built from (like what would sound nice / best and what notes would this be?) and can someone give just basically an explanation of how I can incorporate this as it's a sound I really like.

If you can link any more videos that would be great.
    Using the scales.

These would be what you call “diatonic sixths.” So if you’re playing a blues in F and you’re using an F7 scale over the F chord and you play an F, you can harmonize it with the note a sixth below the F. So that’s A. You can play up the whole scale that way.

A/F, Bb/G, C/A, D/Bb, Eb/C, F/D, G/Eb, etc

User Info Menu

Can someone explain how this is conceptualised?
    It's not 'conceptualised'. You know the sound, you know how to play it, and you play it where you think it'll sound nice. Which it does :-)

i.e. rely on your ears. Like muscles, the more you use them the better they get.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    Using the scales.
    Thank you for this - so what would this look like over the Bb7? Would that be over a Bb7 Scale? and what about the C7?

User Info Menu

Thank you for this - so what would this look like over the Bb7? Would that be over a Bb7 Scale? and what about the C7?
    Dominant 7 is the fifth mode of the major scale. Another way to say it would be for a dominant chord you want the major scale from the fourth.

F7 - Bb major scale
    Bb7 - Eb major scale
    C7 - F major scale

Modes are not terribly important, but this is one to internalize because it’s so commonly used in this context.

User Info Menu

Ok,
    so ...

Over F7: A/F, Bb/G, C/A, D/Bb, Eb/C, F/D, G/Eb, (G#/E) - - [Using notes from Bb Major Scale]
    Over Bb7: D/Bb, Eb/C, F/D, G/Eb, Ab/F, Bb/G, C/Ab, (C#/A) - - [Using notes from Eb Major Scale]
    Over C7: E/C, F/D, G/E, A/F, Bb/G, C/A, D/Bb, (D#/B) - - [Using notes from F Major Scale]

is that right? This is a useful framework - it does seem to be more 'ear-based' as was also stated. I'm going to enjoy exploring the sound with this framework to guide me. I'll also probably just transcribe the parts of the video I like too.

Thanks again.

Last edited by jamiehenderson1993; 06-14-2024 at 09:46 AM.

User Info Menu

Ok,
    so ...

Over F7: A/F, Bb/G, C/A, D/Bb, Eb/C, F/D, G/Eb [Notes from Bb Major Scale]
    Over Bb7: D/Bb, Eb/C, F/D, G/Eb, Ab/F, Bb/G, C/Ab [Notes from Eb Major Scale]
    Over C7: E/C, F/D, G/E, A/F, Bb/G, C/A, D/Bb [Notes from F Major Scale]

is that right? This is a useful framework - it does seem to be more 'ear-based' as was also stated. I'm going to enjoy exploring the sound with this framework to guide me. I'll also probably just transcribe the parts of the video I like too.

Thanks again.

Yep. Really common to use the half-step between flat 7 and tonic too. So that’s E, A, and B respectively. You can just use the chromatic note between the lower sixth for that too.

EDIT: meaning E/G#, A/C#, B/D#

User Info Menu

^ Thank you - I've edited the above lists to reflect this!

User Info Menu

It's the sound from The Allman Brothers Stormy Monday and Miles Davis Freddie Freeloader. I suspect they lifted it from Freedie Freeloader.