The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello everyone,

I thought I'd share a good resource I've been using to practice lately, both bass and guitar. It's an AI driven track splitter tool. It takes any MP3 files and splits the mix into separate channel. The free version has a channel for vocals, bass, drums, and "everything else". You have to pay extra to be able to isolate guitar tracks.

https://www.bandlab.com/splitter

I found myself using this to take the bass out of the pop, country, and R&B music I was playing along to. This tool is really geared towards that kind of music.

I came up with the idea of putting in recordings of jazz singers in a quartet or trio setting. Getting rid of the "others" slider left me with bass, drums, and vocals which gave me a good platform to practice accompaniment. I could even isolate the vocals themselves in play a duo setting.

Some may think "this is waste of time, just find people to play with!" I'll preface that with this; I live in a small town in rural Spain and there aren't many other musicians. This is the best thing I have to playing with real musicians.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've used a (paid) program called LALAL.Ai to separate Wes Montgomery's guitar from the band on Mp3 files. It will split out drums, etc. also - whatever you tell it to. I tried using it on a Ventures song to split the electric guitar and it didn't work well as there was just too much electric guitar and it got confused. Worked well on several Wes tunes though. I think they give you a free trial. There's also another Ai program called Moises that, I think, does the same thing but I haven't tried it.