The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just got back from a trip to Bristol, TN, my family home and the location of a great music festival, the BRRR, now in its 20th year.

I went to 2 days of shows. The first day, saw some local groups, then saw Sam Grisman, The Wallflowers and Molly Tuttle and Golden Highway.

On Sunday we saw The Wayback (San Fran band), Sam Bush and The Steeldrivers (Chris Stapleton’s old band).

A lot of great shows. I was very impressed with Sam Grisman, David’s son, who plays upright bass and sings. He has a good guitarist with Aaron Lipp. A highlight was their version of the Garcia/Hunter song Birdsong.

Bristol Rhythm and Roots Reunion 2024-img_1141-jpeg

The Wallflowers did their usual Tom Petty/Bob Dylanesque stuff. Jakob Dylan called out some of the audience for filming him with their cellphones, and threatened to stop playing if the filming didn’t stop. It stopped.

Bristol Rhythm and Roots Reunion 2024-img_1144-jpg

Molly Tuttle was the highlight. She and her band are just stellar. She has that extra spark which turns a musical performance into an intimate event. She brought out her brother Sullivan, who may actually be a better guitarist than her. Well, maybe. They’re both incredible. The entire band is great, but Kyle Tuttle (no relation) is developing into one of the best prog grass banjo players on the planet.

Bristol Rhythm and Roots Reunion 2024-img_0411-jpeg

(Not my pic btw.)

AJ Lee & Blue Summit | @mollytuttle & @sullivan.tuttle at Bristol Rhythm & Roots last night ???

#mollytuttle #ajleebluesummit #bluegrass | Instagram

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Wayback are from San Fran and Dead-adjacent. They did a long jam featuring Casey Jones segueing into Help on the Way then Lawyers, Guns and Money, then back to Casey Jones for the finale. Great work as a quartet with guitar, violin, bass and drums.

Bristol Rhythm and Roots Reunion 2024-img_0412-jpeg

Sam Bush is of course a legend. I did not realize how good a singer and fiddler he was. Top notch, and with a top notch band. With the excellent Stephen Mougin on guitar.

Bristol Rhythm and Roots Reunion 2024-img_1150-jpg

Closed out with The Steeldrivers, the band cofounded by Tammy Rogers and Chris Stapleton. Chris left for solo work, but the band continues with Matt Dame on guitar and vocals. He sounds VERY MUCH like Chris Stapleton. A find band that does old-fashioned outlaw country as well as anyone.

Bristol Rhythm and Roots Reunion 2024-img_1151-jpeg