The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Posts 226 to 243 of 243

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    Yes, the labels begin getting really silly, don't they? - punk jazz, post-rock... maybe punk klezmer? I bet you could get kicked out of the kibbutz for playing that.
    I was obviously familiar with the sound of the traditional music of the Jews of Central Europe, but not the Yiddish name for it, and I'll probably give "sludge metal" a pass

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    "Tim Buckley .... He was produced by Zappa at one point."

Yes, his last album, which was arguably his worst, but that was probably not due to Frank's influence. Tim was getting more experimental at that time, breaking away from his pop/folk roots, and he died before he had time to refine his conception.

By the way, this thread stopped being about "influential" progressive rock bands a few pages ago, the music posted since then is derivative. Also, you've left out a few major Prog-Rock innovators such as The Soft Machine, Caravan, and Gentle Giant, whom I mentioned previously.
    Zappa produced quite a few people back in the 60’s. I have an album on cassette I recorded from my girlfriend called Zapped. (She gave me the bumper sticker from the album too, which graced my ‘77 Celica until it completely flaked off. One of the few albums she rescued from the incident where her husband threw out most of her records. But I digress.)

It includes Captain Beefheart (of course), Alice Cooper, Wild Man Fisher, GTO (with the very famous mega-groupie Pamela Des Barres) and Tim Buckley. The Buckley song, I Must Have Been Blind, is really not just one of his best, but one of the best songs of the 60’s. Literally makes me teary-eyed just listening to, especially after the girlfriend and I had a parting of ways.

Both of us know
    How hard it is to love
    And let it go
    Both of us know
    How hard it is to go on
    Living that way

Sweet Jesus. That’s a lyric that hits you right in the heart, when sung with Buckley’s sweet but weather worn voice.

Beautiful arrangement—listen to the bass and vibes (David Friedman):

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C View Post
    I was obviously familiar with the sound of the traditional music of the Jews of Central Europe, but not the Yiddish name for it, and I'll probably give "sludge metal" a pass
    I prefer Shtupp metal.

User Info Menu

Yes. Thats the prog rock of prog rock bands for me. I saw them on their Close To The Edge Tour. Great. Never got with Genesis. Floyd was never Prog Rock to me ELP I liked. If you took the skits away from Zappa he was it for me. Yes lives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
    Yes. Thats the prog rock of prog rock bands for me. I saw them on their Close To The Edge Tour. Great. Never got with Genesis. Floyd was never Prog Rock to me ELP I liked. If you took the skits away from Zappa he was it for me. Yes lives.
    The same for me. Yes was a big influence on my budding musicianship, and wide musical interests. Saw them in ‘75 and ‘76. One of the great things about their music is how positive their music is.

User Info Menu

I believe close to the edge was voted the best progressive album of all times and I agree. Listened to it so much back in the day, I had to buy another copy because I wore out the first.

User Info Menu

One of the best Prog bands, a Canterbury supergroup.
    Hmmm. Not sure if that conflation is right. Canterbury bands are Prog bands? Or supergroups? Blind Faith was a supergroup.Yes was a prog band. (It was dying to be said, but eventually there was a one word answer 'review' of one of their latter albums, maybe by Charles Murray - you can guess what it was...).

I think the Canterbury bands were their own irreligious tributary whereas prog bands were essentially the popsters of the underground. The term is redolent of the 70s and earlier than that I don't recall their being named or identified stylistically. Little boxes.

The musicianly pool was quite restricted (and not always from Canterbury). Dave Stewart, Ian and Richard Sinclair (ah, brothers) Robert Wyatt. I loved Hatfield and The North, Caravan and Soft Machine. Adjacent were Henry Cow and from another adjacency, Gong. Was Third Ear Band prog? Kevin Ayers?

I did like Genesis while I still had a degree of approval for the middle class, and King Crimson were pretty astounding for one album. But the musicianship of H&TN was exemplary. Jimmy Hastings played on their albums too, and Pye Hastings of course was in Caravan. The nearest we have today for a Canterbury musician is dear old Fred Baker, who now plays with Soft Machine.

I think Hatfield and The North's influence on some modern group jazz can be heard as clear as day. Phil Miller was a fantastic musician and composer. I met him at the Vortex a while ago and he had turned up to see Mike Walker play. He didn't want to listen to me saying how much he had changed my musical life, fan boying all over the place. It was my only time as a gripper I think. Anyway, the humour and natural management of complexity in the music was just marvellous.

This might be worth a look? (Well, worth it to me as it will bump my viewing figures.) Excellent jazz pianist Tom Hewson does a superb substitute solo in place of Dave Stewart's earlier humorous masterpiece. On bass we have Henry Thomas who did the rock school bass tuition on the telly and who played with Allan Holdsworth (and Bros), and Tim Reyland who plays with Suzi Quatro! Well, it was lockdown and I wanted to make people happy - the point is, I did that by paying a piece nearly 50 years old drawn from the trivial world of 'pop' music. Words changed slightly to protect the innocent.

https://youtu.be/s0eZNhsQAV8

User Info Menu

Anyone remember this album? I got it as it came out back in the day...
    I love their composing and playing (especially from min. 5:44).

User Info Menu

Someone, somewhere in some early page of this thread, mentioned American Minimalism.
    Check out this song: min. 2:10 - 2:40. Sounds to me like Steve Reich composed it!!

User Info Menu

Another good listen for Prog lovers (imo).

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Hugo Gainly;1343292]

I think Hatfield and The North's influence on some modern group jazz can be heard as clear as day. Phil Miller was a fantastic musician and composer. I met him at the Vortex a while ago and he had turned up to see Mike Walker play. He didn't want to listen to me saying how much he had changed my musical life, fan boying all over the place. It was my only time as a gripper I think. Anyway, the humour and natural management of complexity in the music was just marvellous.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=jbernstein91;1343490]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Gainly View Post

This was my favourite from that same album.

User Info Menu

I think composition was the real strength of these groups.

User Info Menu

...and then the eighties came along...

My favourite pop songs of the eighties (jazz chords in there)

(Ok, I'll stop there, I got carried away, I don't mean to hijack the thread!)

User Info Menu

For no real reason I listened to the first ELP album yesterday. I was a HUGE ELP fan in high school--wore out all their albums, though I never saw them in concert before they stopped touring for a long time, and my tastes changed.

I would categorize their music under the "Doesn't age well" category. As a whole, it's too bombastic. One's taste for heavily overdriven bass and organ and sincere but pompous lyrics can only last so long.

That said, I still found a lot to like in retrospect. Basically, I enjoy the heck out of their well-written ballads like Take a Pebble and Still You Turn Me on, and pretty much any jazzy piece where Keith sticks to piano and Carl to Buddy Rich-style drumming. There are also some fairly cool songs like Tank that rely on odd meters and interesting but simple instrumentation like the Clavinova.

I have a similar opinion of Yes. I considered ELP and Yes to be the epitome of prog, while also holding in high esteem Genesis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull.

Now I would say that virtually all of King Crimson and a fair amount of Pink Floyd have stood the test of time. About half of Genesis, minus the twee stuff. Also some very good Tull albums. I have a hard time listening to ELP on a regular basis though. And Yes--well it's pretty much Close to the Edge and The Yes Album.

User Info Menu

Interesting. I was also a huge ELP when j was in junior high. I don’t think I’ve heard them since but I can imagine they don’t age well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

I remember listening to welcone back my friends to the show that never ends album as a kid. That thing was nearly two hour long. As a kid there were good parts and some not so much. I do remeber trying to figure out what emerson was saying through that voccoder deal. That three album live yes album from that same time was easier to digest and.better in my opinion. I was listening to the 1969 yes album the other day. There are a few songs rooted in jazz on that one.

User Info Menu

Considering the "most influental" which may not imply "best" or "ages well" the most competent candidate in my opinion - has to be Yes. To me they became the genre in their own unique way.
    Many other bands worked with fusions where they combined different musical languages, as did ELP, Focus, Brecker Brothers and others.
    Having a unique musical language, as Frank Zappa, Pink Floyd, Captn Beefheart and others, doesn't mean prog either. Early Pink Floyd, maybe ?