The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I sold my digital organ so I only have my $600 Yamaha P-125 digital piano. Looking at other instruments to get.

Better digital piano - They don't sound any better.
    Acoustic piano - It would be too loud in my apartment. Also have to pay to get it tuned for it to sound good. I don't want to spend $ all the time for tuning. Or you can do it yourself but you have to be able to tune it more precisely than an electric tuner to get it to sound good. Not possible without years of training, my ear isn't that good. Wouldn't be able to move it on my own.
    Rhodes - Would be able to transport it on my own. The vintage ones are manageable price wise but their keys are all ghetto. New ones are beautiful but are 10k.
    Tonewheel organ - Start at around 4k shipped. Might be nice but they're grotty and old also and wouldn't be able to move it on my own.
    Vibraphone - Really beautiful instrument. The little student one is 3k and the nice one is 6k. Want to but it's too expensive and I'd have to divert practice time away from keyboard. Probably the instrument I most want to get. I really like the instrument with the pretty tone and being able to whack the thing and get into it rhythmically. And I want an instrument where I focus on melody, I think I would be good at that.

Probably should just not be in debt and play my dang digital piano which sounds fine and is my best instrument.
    Last edited by Bobby Timmons; 05-31-2024 at 01:32 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What instrument to get?-_32-jpg

Maybe a nice pedal steel guitar?

User Info Menu

I've been wanting a saxophone recently....

User Info Menu

When I was young, I went to a country fair. There was a band and a guy had a little pig he held under his arm and as the little guy squealed, he squeezed and played it in time. I was very impressed. One of those "NO WAY!" moments.
    Every since that day, I've wanted a pig.

Now they wouldn't allow an act like that.
    I guess they just squeeze jazz musicians until they're dry.
    Seriously. People used to do things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    Maybe a nice pedal steel guitar?
    Nup

Quote Originally Posted by Ahz
    I've been wanting a saxophone recently....
    Nup

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Pig
    Nup

Lil student vibraphone at 1:44. It's 3k with tax and shipping.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Timmons
    Vibraphone - Really beautiful instrument. The little student one is 3k and the nice one is 6k. Want to but it's too expensive and I'd have to divert practice time away from keyboard. Probably the instrument I most want to get. I really like the instrument with the pretty tone and being able to whack the thing and get into it rhythmically. And I want an instrument where I focus on melody, I think I would be good at that.
    Marimbas are more affordable, wood rather than metal, and they can be amplified if you wish.

No country instruments, no wind instruments, and marimba sounds too minstrel. I would never choose that over vibes.

User Info Menu

[...] marimba sounds too minstrel. [...]
    This is not a minstrel show ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    When I was young, I went to a country fair. There was a band and a guy had a little pig he held under his arm and as the little guy squealed, he squeezed and played it in time. I was very impressed. One of those "NO WAY!" moments.
    Every since that day, I've wanted a pig.

Now they wouldn't allow an act like that.
    I guess they just squeeze jazz musicians until they're dry.
    Seriously. People used to do things like that.
    Hermeto Pascoal "played" living pigs on Slaves Mass (1977).

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    This is not a minstrel show ...
    If you need to perform with a keyboard in addition to a grand piano ur wack. :P
    Last edited by Bobby Timmons; 05-30-2024 at 07:25 AM.

User Info Menu

No country instruments, no wind instruments, and marimba sounds too minstrel. I would never choose that over vibes.
    Minstrel? Dave Samuels played both vibes and marimba and I knew a guy who played them in a band with Mickey Hart (the Grateful Dead's drummer).

User Info Menu

Of course, Bobby Hutcherson played and recorded marimba too. Seems if you master one you're good to do the other.

I love vibes. Do that. I rehearsed with a quartet that had them right before the bug shutdowns. Makes a beautiful combination with guitar. Lionel and Charlie and Glen for one. Julian and Gary for another eg.

Vibes might be more versatile than marimba. Can be very percussive and bright, or very sustained and dreamy. I was quite surprised by how loud they were. Not a loud band but drums, and the acoustic bass was amplified. No amplification required for vibes in that setting. So another possible plus: no amp to drag around.

I'd rather play with vibes than keyboard. This guy used 3 mallets so there was lots of room. Too bad he left town.

I like them so much that I switch the keys to vibes on iReal... when I'm that hard up for backing anyway.

^ Yeah vibes are hella nice. I have to scheme about it. I probably don't need to take on debt just so I can get a 2nd instrument. If I get the money I can decide if I want to divide my practice time between piano and vibes. It's definitely the 1st pick for instrument I'd get. The student model weighs only 70lbs, you don't have to tune it, it's new and not all ghetto and old, and I think I'd be good at it.

I think a tonewheel organ would be 2nd choice. I would like to have a nice tonewheel. But spending a ton to move a grotty old 500lb clunk into my apt sounds like a nightmare.

To not be snarky: I don't care for the other instruments suggested lol. pauln, I don't care for that sound. Do you like it? Mick-7, I don't care for the marimba's sound. It sounds too much like a novelty. Saxophone, you can't disparage sax. It's one of the most important instruments for jazz. I kinda don't like it either. I don't really like the sound of wind instruments, they sound kind of corny to me. But I don't hate them, being into jazz. I wouldn't ever be able to take one up tho in addition to them being hard.

^ Yep haha

Fantasizing:

User Info Menu

In general, the answer is "more guitars".

I would love to play the vibraphone. Beautiful sound, and I enjoy almost every recording with the masters like Hutcherson, Hampton, Burton, etc.

What kind of organ did you have and why did you get rid of it? That's an instrument I wish I could play. Or any keyboard instrument for that matter.

Yeah, I love keys. I think I'm fortunate that my ability lies there, piano really. I had to quit guitar (and bass) because of a finger injury. I had a Hammond XK-5 digital organ rig. It was both too synthetic sounding and I wasn't as good at it because the rhythm has to be killing for it to sound good since there's no touch like piano. I could give it another try with a real tonewheel but I would have to make another big investment and move a 500lb rig into my apartment which I'm not eager to do. Yes, vibraphone is beautiful and I'm always looking at it on online music stores wanting to buy it but I should just pay off debt.

There are some nice pianos on craigslist now that I'm itching for since they are cheap! There's a Yamaha for $400 and a Kawai for $1900. The Yamaha is only $400! Arg! I would want to try my hand at learning to tune it but worried I'd fail since I could never even tune a guitar that well by ear. Apparently you have to use your ear to get it sounding better than only using a tuner. I could ask the piano tuner if he'd be willing to give me lessons. Arg!

Lovely Piano - musical instruments - by owner - sale - craigslist