The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 49 of 49
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    I'm sure he does, they make the best audience, don't talk during your performance.
    True, but it still could be kind of distracting if you had a whole audience full of mimes doing their mime routines during the show.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don’t think it’s advisable to post pictures of people in swimwear with respect to Metheny….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    I don’t think it’s advisable to post pictures of people in swimwear with respect to Metheny….

Surf's Up !Is this an overlooked part of Metheny's sound?-bb-s-jpg

' Now were the vertical stripes standard w/ option for horizontal or ? '

User Info Menu

It is that time of year.... believe the rule of fashion is vertical stripes with white pants or white guitars - plus Brian didn't want to look fat.

It is that time of year.... believe the rule of fashion is vertical stripes with white pants or white guitars - plus Brian didn't want to look fat.
    Ya got it backward Mickey. No harm, no foul, just sayin'.

User Info Menu

Oh! An 'oop! @1:45

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AdroitMage View Post
    Ya got it backward Mickey. No harm, no foul, just sayin'.
    Oh, you're right... well, at that age, Brian and the boys didn't have to worry about looking chubby so vertical stripes were o.k. But later on....

And now for something completely different.

Here's a link to a vintage write-up by JBL themselves, including some neat pics and annotated drawings, describing what was so unique about JBL Alnico speakers. These design improvements originated with the JBL F series: D130F, D120F, and D110F.

Some people here might find it interesting. Scroll to the 5th post: JBL D130F replacement? - OffsetGuitars.com

JBL Edgewound Voice Coil
    Is this an overlooked part of Metheny's sound?-screenshot_20240622_182206_chrome-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzshrink View Post

Yeah, sure. That's why we call it the "stars & hoops"
    Attachment 113100

No, those are stripes: they are two-dimensional. Hoops are three-dimensional: they are circles. The metal strips on a barrel are hoops: they go around the barrel. The bars of colour on Metheny's shirts go around his torso.

User Info Menu

We can also note that hoops are topologically distinct from stripes

I’m waiting for AdroitMage to dig out an interview with Metheny where he refers to ‘stripes’.

User Info Menu

Here is an article with Pat discussing why he wears striped shirts.

Subject: Striped Shirts
    Category: General Questions
    Question:
    Hi Pat -- I have two questions (1) - I've seen PMG 5 times in the past 12 years -- on each occasion, you wore a striped shirt. Is there any reason behind the striped shirt phenomenon or is it just a personal preference? If the reason is related to superstitions, PLEASE PLEASE keep wearing the shirts -- every performance I've attended has been fantastic!

Pat’s Answer:
    “the honest answer is; apathy.”

“apathy in this case towards style and fashion. i just don't care about it. to me, i wish there was a uniform, like a janitor's uniform or something for what we do. i do see being a musician as a service industry - not unlike refrigirator repair or something. for me, by wearing essentially the same thing all the time, which is something that isn't really ever in style or out of style, it is one less thing i have to think about, so i can think more about what i should be thinking about.”

User Info Menu

This vid ticks most of the PM boxes - - - stripes, hair ...... : )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Enlightened Rogue View Post
    There might be some musical mojo in stripes. Two fellow guitar pioneers both favor(ed) them.
    Are you talking about this guy?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Enlightened Rogue View Post
    There might be some musical mojo in stripes. Two fellow guitar pioneers both favor(ed) them.
    But apparently only horizontal stripes have mojo - unless you play surf music.

Cool, because horizontal is slang for "doing it, getting busy, makin' whoopee, knockin' boots," etc., etc.
    Last edited by AdroitMage; 06-23-2024 at 09:37 PM.

But apparently only horizontal stripes have mojo - unless you play surf music.
    There's practicality and vanity too. The fashionistas say that horizontal stripes make you l look taller and slimmer, and vertical stripes can make you look shorter and fatter. That prolly has much to do with why one is more popular than the other.

User Info Menu

Why not? I just got back from the beach.

Is this an overlooked part of Metheny's sound?-1719189544599-png
    Attached Images Attached Images Is this an overlooked part of Metheny's sound?-1719189370065-png 

I’m waiting for AdroitMage to dig out an interview with Metheny where he refers to ‘stripes’.

Nah, I just think it's a cool looking shirt, when Pat wears it, anyway. It looks great on him when he's jamming in concert, and his fans like it too.

From his answer, he doesn't want to waste time thinking about fashion and what clothes he's going to wear today. Could it be because he's a musical genius? IMNSHO Pat is a musical genius if there ever was one. Apparently, the physics genius Einstein had a bunch of essentially the same gray suit, because he didn't want to waste time thinking about something so trivial as what to wear today.

I can understand that to a degree. I've never understood how some people get so freakin' excited about clothes, and spending thousands of dollars on a freaking piece of fabric. Hey, if that's what they want to do, they certainly have that right, but I just don't get that whole thing. I wouldn't go as far as Pat or Einstein, but I definitely get where they are coming from. If I was a rich musician, there are things I would certainly enjoy blowing my money on, but clothes prolly wouldn't be one of them.

Pat is obviously a guy who uses most of his time thinking about being a musician, finding the best musical notes, writing, recording, performing etc., and that has obviously paid off for him.

I would love to be lucky enough to meet him one day, and even be unimaginably lucky enough to jam with him one day, talk about music, jazz improv on guitar, and what that's all about. Having the opportunity to do THAT, for example, is something I would spend some coin on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post

Clearly a side gig as a stuntman for Borat has it's advantages, though I imagine there were certain standards needed to qualify. Did you work on "Bruno" as well?

Beautiful girls in bikinis, I'm all for that, but that hideous "mankini" thing is a definite no bueno.

I prefer a lady who looks good in a bikini and can also stimulate my mind. I need a lady who can stimulate my mind like this woman

Is this an overlooked part of Metheny's sound?-hbvjghfcgfghnhg-hjmbkj-jpg

User Info Menu

From his answer, he doesn't want to waste time thinking about fashion and what clothes he's going to wear today. Could it be because he's a musical genius? IMNSHO Pat is a musical genius if there ever was one. Apparently, the physics genius Einstein had a bunch of essentially the same gray suit, because he didn't want to waste time thinking about something so trivial as what to wear today.

I can understand that to a degree. I've never understood how some people get so freakin' excited about clothes, and spending thousands of dollars on a freaking piece of fabric. Hey, if that's what they want to do, they certainly have that right, but I just don't get that whole thing. I wouldn't go as far as Pat or Einstein, but I definitely get where they are coming from. If I was a rich musician, there are things I would certainly enjoy blowing my money on, but clothes prolly wouldn't be one of them.
    We all have fashion, even if that fashion is anti-fashion. What you wear is a statement, even if the statement is that you're too busy with more important things.

Clothes don't have to cost a lot of money. It's fun to go to thrift stores and find things that look good. Thrift stores in America are overflowing with good clothes that are cheap. If you know what you're doing you can look respectably good. Meaning, you don't have to look like you shop at a thrift store.

Fear and Clothing: Unbuckling American Style by Cintra Wilson is a funny book on the subject of fashion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post

Looking good, Jeff!

I don't know about you, but around me, babes in swimwear are always welcome.

User Info Menu

I don't know about you, but around me, babes in swimwear are always welcome.
    That’s not the image I had I mind. If you’d seen it you’d know.

Be glad Tapatalk won’t let me upload images.