The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Listened to this LP today after not hearing it for years. It was a favorite of my early 20s. Getz's tone is deeper, harder and more muscular here than it was earlier in his career. Joao Gilberto plays killer rhythm guitar all over this record and Heloisa Buarque De Hollanda always sings in tune (unlike Astrud Gilberto). Wonderful marriage of Bossa Nova and Jazz. Apparently Joao forgave Getz for stealing his wife (Astrud) and breaking up his marriage.

Last edited by AndyV; 06-25-2024 at 05:24 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The great Ukrainian shines again! Bossa Nova rules!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop View Post
    The great Ukrainian shines again! Bossa Nova rules!!!
    "Stan Getz was born Stanley Gayetski on February 2, 1927, at St. Vincent's Hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States. Getz's father Alexander ("Al") was a Ukrainian Jewish immigrant who was born in Mile End, London, in 1904, while his mother Goldie (née Yampolsky) was born in Philadelphia in 1907. His paternal grandparents Harris and Beckie Gayetski were originally from Kyiv, Ukraine, but had migrated to escape the anti-Jewish pogroms to Whitechapel, in the East End of London."

User Info Menu

Great album, I also listened to it a bunch in my 20's, and bought the CD version again a couple of years ago. Filled with absolute classics! Getz plays smart, in the pocket, hip. Everything to like about this album!