The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

Found out about this from the Spotify algorithm. Released yesterday, live from 1971. Currently a few tracks in - incredible. More info on Bandcamp: The Last Night at Shaner's | Johnny Smith with the Neil Bridge Trio | Dick Patterson

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great set of tunes on there.Just bought it.Thanks for the heads up.

User Info Menu

Unless I'm mistaken isn't this the only live set by Smith out there not counting a couple short youtube videos and the living room Roost record "Reminiscing"?

I believe so. Was it available before yesterday? Before an hour ago I didn’t think there were any live recordings other than those you mentioned.

User Info Menu

Your post is the first I've heard of it.
    Interesting that the whole thing is there to listen to for free, but I'm not complaining. Thanks for the link, this is a pretty big deal imo.

Agreed! I’m floored. Makes me hope there’s other private recordings out there that might get released, even if just on YouTube or archive.org.

User Info Menu

It looks like the bass player recorded it. Other releases on the bandcamp page are the bass players live sessions. Looks to be a similar deal as the Lester Young D.C. sessions. Private recordings made by someone in the band getting a public release. Very cool stuff!

User Info Menu

I just purchased- Thanks for the heads-up!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Unless I'm mistaken isn't this the only live set by Smith out there not counting a couple short youtube videos and the living room Roost record "Reminiscing"?
    It states that this 1971 performance is one of Johnny Smith's final live gigs but there are a couple of tracks with pretty much the same band (Bill Bastien takes Dick Patterson's place on bass) from ten years later on Youtube:

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

The cover artwork looks like Basil Rathbone playing Johnny Smith in a bio-pic.

User Info Menu

Too bad it wasn't filmed, would love to see how he plays all that. Are there any videos at all of his playing?

User Info Menu

The following are also "live":

Road to Oslo - with Joe Bushkin and Bing Crosby
    Bushkin Rehearsal and Live Performance
    Bushkin Jazz Party
    Live at Figaro's - US Radio

as well as the Mundell Lowe / Johnny Smith Video, here's a clip from it:

and this:

DG

User Info Menu

I miss that guy! He stated he didn't regret giving up live performances. I believe it. But I miss him.

This recording came out in 1994. Golden Earrings is different and amazing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7
    Too bad it wasn't filmed, would love to see how he plays all that. Are there any videos at all of his playing?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7
    Unfortunately for us, his playing looks effortless

User Info Menu

Truly a legend.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noober
    Agreed! I’m floored. Makes me hope there’s other private recordings out there that might get released, even if just on YouTube or archive.org.
    I exchanged emails with Dick Patterson's son, Craig, after purchasing this release. Indeed there are more releases in the works, stating that they have a "bunch of Johnny's other lost live recordings coming out. We've been given permission from his estate to release everything, and that's exactly what we're going to do."

Yay!

John Galich

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Unfortunately for us, his playing looks effortless
    One of the greatest, if not the greatest, plectrum player - the things he can play with a pick are amazing!

I do not like his single note soloing though, it's mostly running scales at high speed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jmgalich
    I exchanged emails with Dick Patterson's son, Craig, after purchasing this release. Indeed there are more releases in the works, stating that they have a "bunch of Johnny's other lost live recordings coming out. We've been given permission from his estate to release everything, and that's exactly what we're going to do."

Yay!

John Galich
    This is incredible news!

User Info Menu

Wow!
    Been listening to this all day. Just made clam sauce to it!
    I am going to throw all my guitars in the garbage, AGAIN!!
    Thank you for posting this. Johnny is a hero to me.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jmgalich

Yay!

John Galich
    Wow, great news, John!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Your post is the first I've heard of it.
    Interesting that the whole thing is there to listen to for free, but I'm not complaining. Thanks for the link, this is a pretty big deal imo.
    Yeah, it's a crazy business model. I mean I hear a few minutes of "Struttin' With Some BBQ, and I'm ready to lay out $15 right then and there, but rather than just lure guys like us in with just partial clips, they make it available for free. But like you said, I ain't complaining. Nobody could play the guitar like this guy, and that includes all the humps of today. I'll alt. pick in my coffin!

User Info Menu

Reg once asked me why I practiced Johnny Smith's three octave arpeggios. He should listen to this album for the answer