The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

Hi everyone hope we are all well ^^

i was just wondering if anyone had any interesting Emily Remler things to share I’ve been so enjoying learning softly as a morning sunrise lately and working my way through all her work an just so totally inspiring n taste of honey always gets the tears going thats for sure such feels.

Any other Emily Fans?

Lucy

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You mean like transcriptions? I have this book around somewhere, will have to look for it.
    Mel Bay Presents Emily Remler Retrospective "Compositions" - Amazon.com

User Info Menu

Incredible. Super original voice while ALSO being maybe the only person who could fool you into thinking she was Wes.

User Info Menu

Just one of my favorite quotes about Jazz ever:

Nothing is corny if it swings.
    --Emily Remler

User Info Menu

Do you already know the interview Ben Sidran did with her and Larry Coryell?

Larry Coryell - Emily Remler | Ben Sidran | Talking Jazz

Her live gig at MIT?

The recordings of her teaching?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    Incredible. Super original voice while ALSO being maybe the only person who could fool you into thinking she was Wes.
    Tonight at the weekly jam session at Munich's Unterfahrt bassist Ida Koch who hosted the session choose tribute to Wes as theme for the host gig of her quartet which contained her companion in life, Elias Prinz on guitar. Definitely a name to remember, fantastic player and he sounded totally like Wes though I heard him say afterwards that his thumb did hurt

User Info Menu

I am a fan of Emily Remler. I have a couple of her recordings and her video lessons. I find her playing inspirational.

User Info Menu

I'm a longtime fan of her elegant playing and I learned some things I still use from her Hot Licks instructional videos. Her playing was joyful but her lifestory is sad.

User Info Menu

My favorite version of one of my all time favorite tunes, her first phrase of the ad-lib set a new standard, at least for me, in terms of melodic playing.

Recently started playing this tune again at jam sessions and was reminded of the impact of the way she plays the theme on how I approach the tune.

User Info Menu

Emily was great, I think I’ve got most if not all of her recordings.

I’ll always kick myself because she once appeared in the UK (at the Bull’s Head at Barnes), and my friend and I decided not to go, because there was a clash with another gig or a big traffic snarl-up or something.

We just assumed she’d be back again sometime, being quite young. Of course it was not to be.

User Info Menu

Love her playing and her wit. In her first instructional video she describes her path towards jazz guitar and I paraphrase “I wanted to be able to sit in a guitar store and be able to play something besides half of a Led Zeppelin tune” I found that funny and relate-able.

Also some great metronome advice in the first vid.
    In her second Latin Jazz video she gave me a breakthrough on the melodic minor scale.

Love these book formats (with downloadable video) of the Hot Licks series:

Emily Remler – Bebop and Swing Guitar Instructional Book with Online Video Lessons - From the Classic Hot Licks Video Series Hot Licks (322774) by Hal Leonard

User Info Menu

There are some live recordings out there, that I think someone posted here. They were really interesting as they were in her later period.

Monster player. Luckily we have a lot of great women following in her footsteps with Mimi Fox and Sheryl Bailey at the forefront. But for players in her era she is one of the tops for me.

User Info Menu

I'm a big fan. I got to see Emily perform at Smalls (I believe) in NYC in October 1988, while on my honeymoon. I spent a fair amount of time transcribing her version of 'In a Sentimental Mood'. Recently, I found this transcription on the Internet (In A Sentimental Mood - Emily Remler | Soundslice) but haven't had time to reconcile it with my version.

User Info Menu

Wow thanks everyone for such amazing replies and sharing your stories about Emily and the suggestions just checking those out on now really really inspirational that’s my evening sorted

Actually ordered the hot licks book the other day which came today ^__^ can’t wait to work my way through that.

id heard of Mimi via instagram but not Sheryl I’ll check her out for sure

oh yep the Larry and Emily interview is on iTunes for anyone that’s looking for it Talking Jazz Volume 21 Guitar 02 2006

thanks

lucy

User Info Menu

Big fan! I thought if she were still alive she’d be considered one of the greatest teachers of all time! Perhaps because she was a woman she was extremely patient. She repeated her instruction slowly, where you got it. Her video lessons were as if she spoke to you only. Her video on Bossa nova instruction was a classic, and inspired me to pursue guitar even though I came from 25 years on piano.

User Info Menu

Gene Lees’ book ‘Waiting for Dizzy’ has a chapter on Emily, based on an interview he had with her. Well worth reading if you can find it (I could see some used copies online).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    Gene Lees’ book ‘Waiting for Dizzy’ has a chapter on Emily, based on an interview he had with her. Well worth reading if you can find it (I could see some used copies online).
    https://archive.org/details/waitingfordizzy00leesg

Waiting for Dizzy : Gene Lees : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Thanks so much Graham n bop, that was a really emotional read and fascinating and gripping all at the same time was a lot that struck a note.

thanks for sharing

lucy

User Info Menu

a long time ago I had one of her
    teaching vids on V H S

tons of great stuff on it

one thing that has stayed with me
    is something to the effect of

’don’t look around and compare
    yourself to other players too much
    its BS ,
    …. there will always be “better” and “worse” players than you ‘
    just do YOUR thing

reminds me of a line in If by Rudyard Kipling

it has really helped me a lot over the years

User Info Menu

Emily and Ted Greene jamming:

TedGreene.com - Audio

User Info Menu

TedGreene.com - Audio
    She is smokin' on these tunes..

Also this is the only audio of Greene playing solo lines that I know of..and with a pick!..In case anyone wondered what he would sound like.

User Info Menu

TedGreene.com - Audio
    Sounds like they had a lot of fun.

That was absolutely awesome to listen to amazing playing an loved listening to the interactions.

User Info Menu

This is a rough of an original tune of mine recorded about 16+ years ago in tribute to Emily using a Bossa progression she taught in her instructional video.