Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
Posts 551 to 560 of 560

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Pasquale Grasso-418499447_10233213172453921_5253748225501763547_n-jpg

User Info Menu

A significant part of Pasquale Grasso's set at Freight & Salvage in Berkley, CA, on 19th January has been uploaded to YouTube.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

This is the only player where I didn't like him at all at first, now I love his playing. WTF happened? Maybe I had no taste of wasn't ready for it? Lately I listen to Pasquale almost every day and I even bought his lessons online. When I first heard him I was thinking "too many notes, not enough melody." It was years ago. Did he improve in this area or was I just totally missing the boat?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzIsGood View Post
    This is the only player where I didn't like him at all at first, now I love his playing. WTF happened? Maybe I had no taste of wasn't ready for it? Lately I listen to Pasquale almost every day and I even bought his lessons online. When I first heard him I was thinking "too many notes, not enough melody." It was years ago. Did he improve in this area or was I just totally missing the boat?
    Acquired taste, I felt the same way about Joe Pass. I couldn’t tell what was happening and couldn’t hear the changes. It was all chords and noodling.

I feel like you have to be a musician to appreciate some of this music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzIsGood View Post
    I’m still missing the boat. He’s unbelievably talented, that much is clear. But it doesn’t captivate me and I can only listen to him briefly. He inspires me on a different level: he has his own pianistic approach to the instrument, takes it to the n-th degree and doesn’t seem to care about anything else. I admire that.

User Info Menu

I'm truly amazed and in awe of Pasquale's skill and talent. But I have to admit I'm sad that I don't have enough years remaining on this earth to ascend to his level. I think I can be pretty good in a couple/few more years...but not outstanding like Pasquale. So I'll just have to get my kicks from the journey. Still, a lot of fun to be had.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar67 View Post
    I’m still missing the boat. He’s unbelievably talented, that much is clear. But it doesn’t captivate me and I can only listen to him briefly. He inspires me on a different level: he has his own pianistic approach to the instrument, takes it to the n-th degree and doesn’t seem to care about anything else. I admire that.
    Have you listened to his more laid back accompaniment of Samara Joy?

User Info Menu

A couple of recent performances from YouTube that reward a full watch.

Pasquale Grasso, Luigi Grasso and Peter Bernstein guesting at Frank Vignola's Guitar Night at Birdland, 15 May 2024.

I was in NYC but at a wedding that night! I did however make it to Mezzrow the following Monday night for Pasquale's weekly 10.30pm and midnight sets, with Luigi guesting on his last night in NYC before returning to Hamburg. The quartet of Pasquale Luigi, Ari Roland and Keith Balla included a number of Luigi's originals across their two sets.

Pasquale Grasso-img_8952-jpgPasquale Grasso-img_8957-jpgPasquale Grasso-img_8962-jpgPasquale Grasso-img_8972-jpg