The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 63 of 63

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nyc chaz
    That album I'm Nuts about the Most is really a great album.I hadn't listened to it for years and last fall i dug it out and it was great hearing it again.Sam Most put out a bunch of fine albums and is one of those truly underrated jazz guys that deserved more love.
    Wow, you got the original LP?
    Although Most's playing is great on the other albums included in the set, the arrangements by Bob Dorough and Teddy Charles aren't as good as the ones by Woellmer.
    Jimmy Raney has a good solo on one tune on the record he's on, and Davey Schildkraut has some nice solos on one of the other records.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Into The Hot was mentioned upthread; I had that in my once huge cassette collection. But Barry Galbraith starred on a recording Gil Evans very much played on for Impulse!: Out of The Cool. The opening cut, La Nevada gives him a lot of room, comping and a killer solo.

I don’t remember all the personnel aside from Evans on piano, and Galbraith. I know it’s Johnny Coles on trumpet and Jimmy Knepper on trombone.

Killer diller track:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by L50EF15
    Into The Hot was mentioned upthread; I had that in my once huge cassette collection. But Barry Galbraith starred on a recording Gil Evans very much played on for Impulse!: Out of The Cool. The opening cut, La Nevada gives him a lot of room, comping and a killer solo.

I don’t remember all the personnel aside from Evans on piano, and Galbraith. I know it’s Johnny Coles on trumpet and Jimmy Knepper on trombone.

Killer diller track:

That's not Galbraith. It's Ray Crawford. You're probably confusing Out of the Cool with Into the Hot, where Galbraith was featured on "Barry's Tune" written by Johnny Carisi. Even though they used his name on the cover, Gil Evans had nothing to do with ITH. They played compositions by Carisi and Cecil Taylor. The Taylor things were done by the Cecil Taylor Unit, not the BB that played all the Cariisi tunes.
    Last edited by sgcim; 07-28-2024 at 08:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Sam Most did this one with Tal Farlow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by achase4u
    Very cool. An acquaintance in a local folk band who ran a non-profit venue nearby was Johnny Carisi's niece. Or great niece. She had heard lots of stories of Uncle Johnny up and moving to NY when he was a teenager or something. I sent her the tune "Barry's Tune" from Into the Hot. She thought it was cool.

I read in the liner notes of "into the hot" that they had to convince a balking-Barry to play that tune as he felt he hadn't been doing much "real jazz" as of late. I'd like to hear the other version you mention as well.
    I recently heard a story about Johnny Carisi from a friend of mine who drove up to Boston with him to do a gig He asked Carisi what influenced him to write "Israel". He figured it had something to do with the founding of the State or country.
    Carisi blew a gasket! He said that when you compose music, nothing influences you to write it. You sit there in a room with a blank piece of paper and work for hours until you've come up with a complete musical statement that makes complete musical sense.

He was so mad at my friend for asking such a "stupid question", that he did not say one word to him for the entire trip going up there or the entire trip coming back!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I recently heard a story about Johnny Carisi from a friend of mine who drove up to Boston with him to do a gig He asked Carisi what influenced him to write "Israel". He figured it had something to do with the founding of the State or country.
    Carisi blew a gasket! He said that when you compose music, nothing influences you to write it. You sit there in a room with a blank piece of paper and work for hours until you've come up with a complete musical statement that makes complete musical sense.

He was so mad at my friend for asking such a "stupid question", that he did not say one word to him for the entire trip going up there or the entire trip coming back!
    Nothing like being trapped in a car like that on a long trip, ouch.

User Info Menu

Wow, you got the original LP?
    This is one of the joys of our little community. We have a wonderful spectrum of age, interest, knowledge and experience from young ‘uns with an appreciation for jazz guitar history and an eagerness to learn to old dudes with a wealth of resources and a lifelong love of jazz guitar.

I discovered Barry Galbraith in the 1960 Gibson catalog (when I was in high school). The only records I could find on which he played were Music Minus One backing tracks, and I couldn’t justify spending my hard earned money on that when there was so much music I wanted to hear and learn. But I bugged the local record store (Russ Miller Records in Atlantic City) so much that I was eventually able to get his playing on albums by Chris Connor, Milt Jackson, Steve Allen (!), Tony Bennett and Tal Farlow by the time I went to college. Good record shops had a huge catalog of all commercial recordings with credits, and you could find all credited appearances if you took the time to search that tome.

I’m fortunate enough to be solidly in the geezer brigade but still able to remember what I have and where it is. I remember buying Out of the Cool after reading a review in Downbeat. When I saw this thread, I went to my record collection and pulled it out. It’s still great!

Always on the lookout for more Barry Galbraith-img_1414-jpg

User Info Menu

I miss cats like neatomic when I go back and read old threads like this. I guess we'll never know what happened to him.

User Info Menu

Does the song have lyrics? If not, then it was a lame question in most cases the title attached to a music without lyrics, has nothing to do with the actual music. (as always there are exceptions like Blue Bossa).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Nothing like being trapped in a car like that on a long trip, ouch.
    NY to Boston and then back again is a long time!
    Yeah, going back and reading neatomic's posts always astounds me at his knowledge of jazz guitar. I'm sure he was probably hip to Galbraith's incredible part on the Most album. He might have even been hip to the arranger, RW, on the album, although I've only known one sax player that used to do a duo gig with him that was hip to him, and he's long gone, just like the trumpet player who booked him on the gig.
    Searches have come up with him playing trumpet with the band Gil Evans used to write for, the Claude Thornhill Orchestra, so maybe he got some of his arranging skills from Gil.Some old DB articles have him playing and arranging for Bobby Scott's group in the 50s.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    This is one of the joys of our little community. We have a wonderful spectrum of age, interest, knowledge and experience from young ‘uns with an appreciation for jazz guitar history and an eagerness to learn to old dudes with a wealth of resources and a lifelong love of jazz guitar.

I discovered Barry Galbraith in the 1960 Gibson catalog (when I was in high school). The only records I could find on which he played were Music Minus One backing tracks, and I couldn’t justify spending my hard earned money on that when there was so much music I wanted to hear and learn. But I bugged the local record store (Russ Miller Records in Atlantic City) so much that I was eventually able to get his playing on albums by Chris Connor, Milt Jackson, Steve Allen (!), Tony Bennett and Tal Farlow by the time I went to college. Good record shops had a huge catalog of all commercial recordings with credits, and you could find all credited appearances if you took the time to search that tome.

I’m fortunate enough to be solidly in the geezer brigade but still able to remember what I have and where it is. I remember buying Out of the Cool after reading a review in Downbeat. When I saw this thread, I went to my record collection and pulled it out. It’s still great!

Always on the lookout for more Barry Galbraith-img_1414-jpg
    Galbraith played on the album "Into The Hot". not "Out of the Cool", which featured Gil's band with Ray Crawford on guitar.

User Info Menu

Galbraith played on the album "Into The Hot". not "Out of the Cool", which featured Gil's band with Ray Crawford on guitar.
    I know - I didn’t say otherwise and I have both. I only posted the pic and comment about that album in agreement with your statement “Wow, you got the original LP”. The joy of having collected great recordings for 70 years is having 70 years of great records. I think “wow” every time I play one, and I’m very grateful to have them all

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I know - I didn’t say otherwise and I have both. I only posted the pic and comment about that album in agreement with your statement “Wow, you got the original LP”. The joy of having collected great recordings for 70 years is having 70 years of great records. I think “wow” every time I play one, and I’m very grateful to have them all
    Oh, sorry. It's a thread about BG and someone else thought BG played on that LP, and I thought you were making the same mistake. Sorry!