The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Posts 276 to 287 of 287

User Info Menu

You can see Johnathan's mic more clearly in some of the later performances that night. The mic mount is attached to the tailpiece. The mic sits over the lower bout.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ha, finally a (partly) acoustic evening with!
    (And no feedback! )

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    I didn't see a clip-on mic on the L5, but maybe I missed it.
    It's true that you have to know where to look, the thing is in the shadows all the time (or behind an audience head).

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Timmons View Post
    He kind of made Frank sound like a slouch on the 1st tune.

Jonathan has that Italian renaissance sprezzatura thing of making everything seem easy (and playing a lot more notes than he seems to be).
    Of course, if you've seen him in his band's lindy performances it's kind of evident why he isn't breaking a hint of a sweat here

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM View Post
    You can see Johnathan's mic more clearly in some of the later performances that night. The mic mount is attached to the tailpiece. The mic sits over the lower bout.
    Yup. He has a blog where he describes in detail what he uses and how. A DPA XXXX lavalier mic on a gooseneck, pointed somewhere behind the treble side of the bridge.

User Info Menu

Also looks like Frank brought (or is using) a Princeton to which is lower wattage then what he usually seems to have there…a Deluxe? Maybe as a courtesy to the L5.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara View Post
    And "our own" Jonathan Stout!
    Hah! Getting out of the subway yesterday afternoon I saw I guy in the station with glasses and two jumbo gig bags and thought to myself "hey, is that Jonathan Stout? Nah, he wouldn't be hanging out around here". I live in an a somewhat off-the-beaten-track neighborhood, so not an obvious place for cats in town for a gig to crop up. Fired up the old youtube machine this morning, and there he is. Sounded great.

User Info Menu

He sings too!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes View Post
    Also looks like Frank brought (or is using) a Princeton to which is lower wattage then what he usually seems to have there…a Deluxe? Maybe as a courtesy to the L5.
    I have been watching the Birdland live streams regularly and Frank always seems to be using that blackface Princeton Reverb. Although there is often a Deluxe and sometimes a Twin on stage, it's a guest that I see using those.

User Info Menu

I thought Frank was quite good in this one.
    Stout is always good too. Frank is kinda winning me over with this one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A. View Post
    I live in an a somewhat off-the-beaten-track neighborhood, so not an obvious place for cats in town for a gig to crop up.
    From how I remember the NY subway (sauna and/or sardine cans) he was pretty courageous to take 2 valuable instruments on it. One of which was not his own, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    He sings too!!
    He does, but he seems to think that's not as appreciated as his playing, and I may not disagree with him on that

Quote Originally Posted by JazzIsGood View Post
    I thought Frank was quite good in this one.
    This was definitely one of the more enjoyable concerts for me too but it also underlined that I definitely prefer an acoustic sound over esp. the nasal sound Frank gets from the instrument he was hiding behind.

Anyone catch exactly what went wrong in that one piece that got a take 2?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
    Anyone catch exactly what went wrong in that one piece that got a take 2?
    Looks like Frank was still putting the microphone away when they started and he tried to jump in, but it was sloppy so he called a restart. He's a good bandleader, realizing he biffed it and having them start over. Making a joke and restarting the song right minded.

User Info Menu

It just look a bit like Jonathan wasn't of the same opinion, and I doubt anyone would have realised if Frank had just recovered from that sloppy jump-in. I didn't notice anything off and even if I had I wouldn't have remembered it like this surprise and somewhat heavy-handed restart.

EDIT: maybe I'm wrong that it must be easier to recover from this kind of glitch in mostly improvised performance?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
    It just look a bit like Jonathan wasn't of the same opinion, and I doubt anyone would have realised if Frank had just recovered from that sloppy jump-in. I didn't notice anything off and even if I had I wouldn't have remembered it like this surprise and somewhat heavy-handed restart.

EDIT: maybe I'm wrong that it must be easier to recover from this kind of glitch in mostly improvised performance?
    If anything we should all be realizing if Frank Vignola can call a do-over at The Birdland, we can call a do-over at our shared tips coffee shop gigs.

I think Jonathan was goofing around by not stopping. It all seemed in good spirits to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    If anything we should all be realizing if Frank Vignola can call a do-over at The Birdland, we can call a do-over at our shared tips coffee shop gigs.
    Of course it's not all that important. I was just surprised, it didn't seem like the thing we'd call a restart for in a classical performance. But maybe that's the thing: Frank may have heard things beginning to fall apart where I (or we) didn't.

I think Jonathan was goofing around by not stopping. It all seemed in good spirits to me.
    Clearly, and I noticed that. But I also think that may have been in part a way to cover up the fact that it took him a second to realise what was happening as well. Or maybe the whole thing was an act