The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Not exactly a jazz guitarist, but Jubu is one of the most influential RnB guitarists of the last 40 years. I saw the preview for this video a while ago and it finally dropped a few days ago. Great stuff that any guitarist can learn from him: tone, rhythm, phrasing. Personally I think a lot of this guitar style is extremely versatile and can be applied in jazz (think Ed Cherry, who mixes lots of blues, funk, and rnb style into his jazz playing).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I saw him and his band Legally Blynd at the Freight & Salvage in Berkeley a few months ago! They were cookin!

His style is influenced significantly by rhythm guitar players from African American gospel/church music. (As has jazz guitarist Dan Wilson.) I’ve run into some great guitarists playing out of that tradition.

AKA

Quote Originally Posted by AKA View Post
    I saw him and his band Legally Blynd at the Freight & Salvage in Berkeley a few months ago! They were cookin!

His style is influenced significantly by rhythm guitar players from African American gospel/church music. (As has jazz guitarist Dan Wilson.) I’ve run into some great guitarists playing out of that tradition.

AKA
    Hell yeah I was at that show and saw jubu outside before they went on. Did you catch Lalah Hathaway at Yoshis last year? Legally Blynd was her rhythm section. Jubu was incredible. I recorded some clips that night.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos View Post
    Hell yeah I was at that show and saw jubu outside before they went on. Did you catch Lalah Hathaway at Yoshis last year? Legally Blynd was her rhythm section. Jubu was incredible. I recorded some clips that night.

I missed it!

AKA

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting this! I've never heard of him before, but he's great!