The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Anyone know who the lefty killing it in this Lionel Hampton clip is?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Bill Mackel?

User Info Menu

Sometimes the video clips on Youtube get flipped on processing for youtube. So a right handed guitarist would then look left handed. The guitarist is quite bald and looks older than Charlie Christian.

Sorry, that's all I got! :-)

Doug

User Info Menu

The dudes on vibe and bass seem righties ...
    Billy Mackel - Wikipedia was apparently playing left handed so Old Nick may be spot on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by teeps View Post
    The dudes on vibe and bass seem righties ...
    Billy Mackel - Wikipedia was apparently playing left handed.
    Played with Hampton for 30 years. He’s probably also the lefty in another video from 1969.

Thanks everyone!

User Info Menu

That’s Mackel. He joined Hampton in ‘44 and stayed with him for over 30 years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    Anyone know who the lefty killing it in this Lionel Hampton clip is?

Man, what a band! Is it a jazz band or is it a rocknroll band? Hard to tell, and that what's great about it. Why nobody plays jazz like that anymore? I want my rhythm section to play like that, and nobody GETS it! I'll save this video.

User Info Menu

1957 is post Christian, Montgomery.

Billy Mackel.

DG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive View Post
    Man, what a band! Is it a jazz band or is it a rocknroll band? Hard to tell, and that what's great about it. Why nobody plays jazz like that anymore? I want my rhythm section to play like that, and nobody GETS it! I'll save this video.
    The drummer is playing the backbeat on the snare, that is why it is sounding like rock & roll.

User Info Menu

Billy's really playing some "riff based" accompaniment here. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Billy's really playing some "riff based" accompaniment here. Love it.
    I skipped though a few Hampton albums on spotify this morning, but didn't come across anything with this much drive. Maybe I'll find a ripping live concert, Hampton sure has a lot of albums.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head View Post
    The drummer is playing the backbeat on the snare, that is why it is sounding like rock & roll.
    Yep. And the riff based guitar comping, and the piano player style... The year is 1957, the bebop was well established, and rocknroll was getting the spotlight. I think those guys knew what they were doing, who that would appeal too.

The backbeat is great though. I have no luck asking jazz drummers to play like that. Deep inside i hate bebop and how it influenced drumming lol. I would be much better understood living in the 50's I think.