The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 59

User Info Menu

MakeMusic pulled the plug on Finale (can still be used, but will no longer be updated or supported) and is offering users a discount on Dorico

The End of Finale - Finale

Anyone used Dorico? I just use Finale for self-consumption, so dont need publication-quality scores, but do sometimes use the tools to for classical guitar fingerings

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Incredible!
    This news can have a huge impact on the workflow of the professionists of music publishing. Not to speak about the request of "obsolete" Macintosh and Windows computers.

I don't know DORICO but even if this can do the same work of Finale (...I'm skeptic about this...), to learn another software from zero is something that the professionist don't want to do.

FYI I work on the very old Final Cut Pro 7 (year 2010...) simply because Final Cut Pro X can't do what I do with FCP 7.

Ettore

My website

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

There are quite a few options for music notation these days. The one I use is Lilypond, which comes with a rather steep learning curve and it has the power and tweak ability to do just about anything. Far more power than I need; I'm just doing lead sheets, but it will do full symphony scores, some music systems other than western European style scores, etc.. I sometimes feel like I'm using a sledgehammer to crack walnuts. However, I have a system down whereby I can go from a manuscript to a completed lead sheet for the entire band, transposed, in well under 30 minutes. You do have to learn essentially a programming syntax not unlike TeX, which is the learning curve part.

There are much more consumer friendly options out there.

User Info Menu

Now people who paid for Finale can pay again about 500$ to use the next program Dorico in their new computers No, to be honest i think there is a limited time offer of 150 for current Finale users.

User Info Menu

If you're on IOS, Notion is a free alternative which has pretty much everything you'd ever want (you might have to pay a couple bucks for extra features).

User Info Menu

Can't beat Musescore.It's free and comes with a nice sounding library.They have addon's from companies like Orchestral tools if you crave more realistic sounds.

User Info Menu

I used to use the paid version Finale, a few years ago I switched to Sibelius. So far I've been able to do what I need to do with the free version of Sibelius, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if I needed it.

That said, I don't make it work very hard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nyc chaz
    Can't beat Musescore.It's free and comes with a nice sounding library.They have addon's from companies like Orchestral tools if you crave more realistic sounds.
    From what I understand MS 4 had its slew of infancy problems, but also introduced a new file format that's not backwards compatible. So not only were you stuck if you ran into something that the new version couldn't do right but v3 could, it was (and still is) also not possible to collaborate with someone (who) stuck with the old version. This is a not uncommon scenario with free software (Audacity did it too) and likely to repeat itself. While I won't put my hand into the fire about it I do think the devs of paying professional-grade software have a little more consideration for backwards compatibility.

That said, MuseScore v3 was already quite sufficient.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nyc chaz
    I'm still with MS.. Have close to 80 BB arrangements/compositions of mine on it, about half of which have been performed by BBs that I play in.
    The main problem has been that their cuts and jumps need to be circled or underlined, and when you conduct a piece for the first time, you need to go over the big changes that take place in the piece- e.g. Tempo changes, Time Signature changes, etc...
    They're not clear enough for the sight reading musician.

User Info Menu

What would be good software for simple lead sheets and small group notation? I only use notation software rarely, but need to get into it more as I try to expand my writing skills. Right now, writing orchestral music is a ways off. I have an older version of Finale that makes me eligible for the Dorico cross grade, but to be honest, I never used it enough to become fluent, so I have a learning curve anyway.

User Info Menu

Download MuseScore and/or one of the other free options. MS can certainly do what you want, the others probably too; no need to pay for something you can get for free

spent the $150 on Dorico, seems like a much better thought out interface but a learning curve relative to Finale. Nice thing is the note placement - there is a rhythmic grid where you place the note durations you want and the program figures out the appropriate rests. Takes some getting used to relative to Finale where notes and rests are treated the same

User Info Menu

The deal for Finale users to move to Dorico Pro is really good. Steinberg have a sale on at the moment too which includes Dorico.

User Info Menu

Musescore still doesn't have a good jazz guitar sound. It's gotten better, but it's still more of a Fender solid body twangy sound than a jazz sound.
    I just downloaded the new 4.4 version that came out yesterday. It claims to have a fix for some of the problems people have reported. I just finished a piece on 4.3 so I haven't used it yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV
    spent the $150 on Dorico, seems like a much better thought out interface but a learning curve relative to Finale. Nice thing is the note placement - there is a rhythmic grid where you place the note durations you want and the program figures out the appropriate rests. Takes some getting used to relative to Finale where notes and rests are treated the same
    How do you import Finale files into Dorico? Is there a lot of editing necessary?

I'm still on a 2017 version of Finale (25.5.259) using it with macOS Sierra, not sure what to do. In the long run i guess i'll need to upgrade the OS for any newer version, but i hate changing a system which is runnig fine. Also i have some old fire wire harware like a Motu 828MKII, run it with Digital Performer 9.5 which is doing just great on Sierra, even with many plugins on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    How do you import Finale files into Dorico? Is there a lot of editing necessary?

I'm still on a 2017 version of Finale (25.5.259) using it with macOS Sierra, not sure what to do. In the long run i guess i'll need to upgrade the OS for any newer version, but i hate changing a system which is runnig fine. Also i have some old fire wire harware like a Motu 828MKII, run it with Digital Performer 9.5 which is doing just great on Sierra, even with many plugins on.
    FYI Finale 25.5.259 work without issues in Mac OS Monterey.

Ettore

User Info Menu

Import as MusicXML file.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV
    In my post #3 there is a link to an article that links to videos about the migration from Finale to Dorico.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    In my post #3 there is a link to an article that links to videos about the migration from Finale to Dorico.
    Quote: “Having access to Finale v27 will ensure that you can export your Finale files to Dorico using MusicXML 4.0, the most robust version of MusicXML available.”
    So i guess that once Finale v27 does not work anymore because of incompatibilities with newer OS's, it won't be possible to export Finale files anymore unless they have been converted before. I just hope that a bulk export function exists .........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Musescore still doesn't have a good jazz guitar sound. It's gotten better
    That's not (entirely) MS's fault; you can use any .sf3 soundfont file with it. Or just use any instrument that gives an acceptable sound; you're not using it to record your latest greatests hits single (I guess)

EDIT: MS also still doesn't have simple, readable "jazz fonts". Dunno why jazz scores always have to use those silly cursive/fantasy fonts, maybe to force people not to use scores at all?

I'm still on a 2017 version of Finale (25.5.259) using it with macOS Sierra, not sure what to do. In the long run i guess i'll need to upgrade the OS for any newer version, but i hate changing a system which is runnig fine. Also i have some old fire wire harware like a Motu 828MKII
    I can never remember what version number goes with what silly version codename, but if your Mac has a FW port it is an older one that may not run a (much) newer version of the OS. My early/mid 2011 MBP is limited to 10.13 for instance, unless I want to go halfway down the Hackintosh route. I'm not planning to, and if you have a similarly limited iMac with a discrete GPU you can't, for all practical purposes.
    That said, you can probably find a Thunderbold adapter or dock that will give any compatible Mac 1 or more FW ports. Can you remember if you had to install a driver for that Motu?

User Info Menu

Quote: “Having access to Finale v27 will ensure that you can export your Finale files to Dorico using MusicXML 4.0, the most robust version of MusicXML available.”
    So i guess that once Finale v27 does not work anymore because of incompatibilities with newer OS's, it won't be possible to export Finale files anymore unless they have been converted before. I just hope that a bulk export function exists .........
    Which OS are you on?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Which OS are you on?
    Hahaha, i'm a dinosaur. Still on Sierra ;-). It's 10.12.6. Latest possible OS on my machine would be Monterey .......

User Info Menu

Hahaha, i'm a dinosaur. Still on Sierra ;-). It's 10.12.6. Latest possible OS on my machine would be Monterey .......
    You could always run an older version of macOS in a virtual machine. BTW I hope that you do not use that machine for banking.

In the second link I posted there is a hint where to find the authorization data of yout Finale on a Mac.

User Info Menu

The Dorico channel on You Tube has tutorials for Finale users including this one

Also the Dorico forum has loads of info
    Dorico - Steinberg Forums