The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Curious.
    Birthday's coming up and my wife Donna wants to buy me something I can use for music. I don't really need anything, so I'm considering software, mainly because software seems to be her idea of what I might need. (She can't fathom me needing ANOTHER guitar, and at the moment, I don't.)

I'm thinking of using this to make charts of my own songs. Something tells me that could prove useful down the line.

I suppose MuseScore is an option. I had a free version but rarely used it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes View Post

I suppose MuseScore is an option. I had a free version but rarely used it.
    MuseScore's only notation software option is free. The MuseScore paid subscription gives you access to a public domain scores library shared by MuseScore Pro members.

If you rarely used MuseScore, are you likely to use SoundSlice?

User Info Menu

Maybe something you didn't know you needed? And maybe you really don't need it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep View Post
    If you rarely used MuseScore, are you likely to use SoundSlice?
    Good question.
    I actually have GuitarPro which allows one to input music and get the software to sound it. (Not the best sound, but good enough to hear if one has notated the rhythm's properly.)

Maybe I just need to get a good delay pedal / looper for songwriting and entertaining Donna.

User Info Menu

I use Soundslice for composing in my trusty but incompatible chromebook and it works great

User Info Menu

This makes for a good stool to sit on and play guitar. And you you can play it like a drum.

Amazon.com
    Attached Images Attached Images Any use SoundSlice (for your own music, not in, say, TrueFire lessons)-screenshot-2024-09-17-134035-png 

User Info Menu

For transcribing, Soundslice is the best in the business. It basically combines audio analysis software like Transcribe with a notation/tab editor — meaning you can immediately write down what you figure out, without needing other software. The end result is a synced transcription, basically a bespoke practice environment for whatever music you transcribed.

Jonathan Stout has good things to say about it as well ("life-changing"):
    Good app for transcribing?

There's also a newish photo-scanning feature, which will let you digitize sheet music you might have on paper or in PDF format. It extracts the notes and lets you edit, sync with a source recording, etc.

I help make the site and am happy to answer specific questions. Even if you decide not to spend the 5 bucks a month for the "pro" version of the software, you'll likely get a lot of value out of our free version.

Adrian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    For transcribing, Soundslice is the best in the business. It basically combines audio analysis software like Transcribe with a notation/tab editor — meaning you can immediately write down what you figure out, without needing other software. The end result is a synced transcription, basically a bespoke practice environment for whatever music you transcribed.

Jonathan Stout has good things to say about it as well ("life-changing"):
    Good app for transcribing?

There's also a newish photo-scanning feature, which will let you digitize sheet music you might have on paper or in PDF format. It extracts the notes and lets you edit, sync with a source recording, etc.

I help make the site and am happy to answer specific questions. Even if you decide not to spend the 5 bucks a month for the "pro" version of the software, you'll likely get a lot of value out of our free version.

Adrian
    Thank you, Adrian. I appreciate that. Jonathan Stout's opinion matters to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post

Adrian
    A follow-up question about entering music into SoundSlice. I watched a video on this and the guy entered a YouTube video and went to work transcribing that. Great. But what about phone audio? (For something I came up with on my guitar that isn't on YouTube or isn't a studio recording.)

That should work too, right? That would be awesome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes View Post
    A follow-up question about entering music into SoundSlice. I watched a video on this and the guy entered a YouTube video and went to work transcribing that. Great. But what about phone audio? (For something I came up with on my guitar that isn't on YouTube or isn't a studio recording.)
    Yes, you can definitely use MP3s with Soundslice. When adding a "recording," choose MP3 instead of YouTube. See here for details.

There are several advantages to using MP3s instead of YouTube: better-quality slowdown, more precise looping, more screen real estate for notation, and ability to make fine-grained pitch adjustments (i.e., to correct a non-440Hz source recording). Plus avoiding YouTube means you don't get tracked by Google.

BTW, you can also use a raw video file, if you have a video that isn't on YouTube.

Adrian