The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Gotta say, I’m really impressed with the sound and nuance that went into this plugin. I probably wouldn’t have questioned that it was a virtual instrument.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It does sound very nice. If you want to record with an archtop but don’t have one, it’ll do the job. Like the original Super 400, its name is its price ($145) - and it won’t work on the free Kontakt platform.

If they make it usable in a real time plugin host for live performance without latency, it’d be a truly useful tool for gigging.

Seems like it’s already pretty darned useful in real-time use. I’m gonna scoop it up and mess about with it. I’m a better keyboard player, anyway!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Esport
    Seems like it’s already pretty darned useful in real-time use. I’m gonna scoop it up and mess about with it. I’m a better keyboard player, anyway!
    The “real time” mode is not for live performance - it’s an alternative algorithm for recording, if I read the user manual correctly. You also have to toggle between polyphonic mode for playing chords and mono mode for single note lines, which requires a foot pedal if you don’t want to have to click an icon to do it while playing.

You can trigger it with any MIDI controller. So a Roland pickup and MIDI interface will let you use a guitar. But you’ll have to have something to trigger it - keyboard, guitar with MIDI pickup, wind controller etc. Latency is a consistent problem in multiple device chains like this, especially when the components were not designed together for live use.

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    The “real time” mode is not for live performance - it’s an alternative algorithm for recording, if I read the user manual correctly. You also have to toggle between polyphonic mode for playing chords and mono mode for single note lines, which requires a foot pedal if you don’t want to have to click an icon to do it while playing.

You can trigger it with any MIDI controller. So a Roland pickup and MIDI interface will let you use a guitar. But you’ll have to have something to trigger it - keyboard, guitar with MIDI pickup, wind controller etc. Latency is a consistent problem in multiple device chains like this, especially when the components were not designed together for live use.
    Fair point. Although I would never use this in a live MIDI equipped guitar situation, I could get good results in a project by programming key switches. I misunderstood how the real-time playability is achieved.

User Info Menu

Sounds heavily compressed

User Info Menu

I guess they don't plan a version to plug into any crappy old flattop (tentatively called Virzi)?