The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Ok, friends. This time I’m certain—I am parting with my immaculate 2013 Gibson Tal Farlow in Vintage Sunburst. Absolutely immaculate condition.

This one is special. I listed it a couple years ago, but during a FaceTime demo for a very interested potential buyer, I changed my mind and just couldn’t let it go.

It’s a gorgeous, unique, richly toneful archtop that anyone would be thrilled to own. But, with worsening arm/hand issues, I can’t comfortably play my guitars with beefier neck profiles. So, the time has come to move them out. Because I value the members of our jazz guitar forum, I want to offer it here first. If there are no takers after a couple weeks, I’ll put it up on one of the big sites. I will list it publicly for $5,600 plus shipping. I offer it here for $5,000 plus actual shipping and insurance within the lower 48.

As you know, the Tal Farlow uses an L-5 CES neck. The profile on this one is a medium/slightly chunky C with wide shoulders—meaning it could almost be called D shaped. But, I think of it as a thicker shouldered medium C. The maple grain on this neck and body is stunningly flamey. Depending on the light, the Vintage Sunburst finish can appear more red or more yellow. It’s just a visually stunning example. Here are some pics from the dealer I purchased it from. It has been played only a handful of times since these photos were taken. Please DM me if interested.

Roli (Alpine)
    2013 Gibson Custom Crimson Tal Farlow Archtop Guitar VSB-u1obr0qaj9k721sxplp0-jpeg
    2013 Gibson Custom Crimson Tal Farlow Archtop Guitar VSB-mscy6ygl4jjjzulpsvbf-jpeg
    2013 Gibson Custom Crimson Tal Farlow Archtop Guitar VSB-tpysyxcqy9ivudd6iytk-jpeg
    2013 Gibson Custom Crimson Tal Farlow Archtop Guitar VSB-ue2pn6x69wk5jhjcaepf-jpeg
    2013 Gibson Custom Crimson Tal Farlow Archtop Guitar VSB-k1izye1gvbdrbdzvlwe3-jpeg
    2013 Gibson Custom Crimson Tal Farlow Archtop Guitar VSB-tha0npxjdscnbbn6ojoj-jpeg
    2013 Gibson Custom Crimson Tal Farlow Archtop Guitar VSB-vq3uasv0vranpeviuxel-jpeg
    2013 Gibson Custom Crimson Tal Farlow Archtop Guitar VSB-xiql3ufifbpetqluffdd-jpeg
    2013 Gibson Custom Crimson Tal Farlow Archtop Guitar VSB-go4lrdbp7u1sqvt0utnf-jpeg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I can certainly see why this guitar would be hard to part with... curious: what sort of guitar are you playing now?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    I can certainly see why this guitar would be hard to part with... curious: what sort of guitar are you playing now?
    50/50 between a little Martin 00015 and a MIM 60s-style Strat.

User Info Menu

A very trustworthy seller and good friend. A total no risk buy from a great guy.

This is not only a great jazz guitar but they will never be made again most likely. Also a very sound investment on a legendary guitar.

GLWTS Buddy.

User Info Menu

You’re very kind, Vinny. Right back at ya. You set the standard for fair dealing.

User Info Menu

Roli is my neighbor, and I will vouch for him that he is a trusted fellow his guitars are all kept nice. I will also say this is a great guitar for anyone they don't make them anymore and doubt they ever will

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark View Post
    Roli is my neighbor, and I will vouch for him that he is a trusted fellow his guitars are all kept nice. I will also say this is a great guitar for anyone they don't make them anymore and doubt they ever will
    Thanks, deacon Mark. I appreciate the kind words!

User Info Menu

You know, when you buy a guitar, you get the
    mojo built into it from all who’ve owned it.
    My friend Vinny has said nothing but the nicest things about Rolijen. Fair and honest. A really good dude.
    Out of all the guitars I’ve ever owned and sold, the Gibson Tal Farlow is the only model that made me kick myself in the ass for selling it. It could really be the absolute only guitar you ever need to own. And to get a Viceroy Brown Tal, is something special. Probably the nicest color Gibson ever sprayed on a guitar.
    This one looks pampered. I wish I was in a position to buy it.
    Someone is going to be doing cartwheels!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    You know, when you buy a guitar, you get the
    mojo built into it from all who’ve owned it.
    My friend Vinny has said nothing but the nicest things about Rolijen. Fair and honest. A really good dude.
    Out of all the guitars I’ve ever owned and sold, the Gibson Tal Farlow is the only model that made me kick myself in the ass for selling it. It could really be the absolute only guitar you ever need to own. And to get a Viceroy Brown Tal, is something special. Probably the nicest color Gibson ever sprayed on a guitar.
    This one looks pampered. I wish I was in a position to buy it.
    Someone is going to be doing cartwheels!
    Joe D
    Thank you, Joe. Grateful to associate with a bunch of classy folks on this forum. I have always loved hearing your beautiful chord melody style. You’re a blessing to the world.

I do want to clarify that my Tal’s Vintage Sunburst finish has a bit of red in it but it isn’t Viceroy Brown. Here are a couple pics in lower lighting:
    2013 Gibson Custom Crimson Tal Farlow Archtop Guitar VSB-img_2929-jpg
    2013 Gibson Custom Crimson Tal Farlow Archtop Guitar VSB-img_2964-jpg
    2013 Gibson Custom Crimson Tal Farlow Archtop Guitar VSB-img_5152-jpg
    Not sure why the last one is sideways…

User Info Menu

Absolutely beautiful archtop! GLWTS!

User Info Menu

great seller and player. I've heard this guitar and seen it demonstrated. Wish I had bought it when I was in acquisition mode!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
    great seller and player. I've heard this guitar and seen it demonstrated. Wish I had bought it when I was in acquisition mode!
    Thanks, Jack. I stand in your shadow, my friend.

User Info Menu

I’m sorry Rolijen, your Tal is very Vintage Sunburst! I must have been drunk.. and I don’t drink!
    Sorry bro.
    JD

User Info Menu

Baby got back!
    2013 Gibson Custom Crimson Tal Farlow Archtop Guitar VSB-img_2677-jpeg

User Info Menu

Final call! I’ve had this listed for two weeks now and plan to pull down the posting at the end of this week if there are no takers. I’m not in any hurry to post it on the ‘verb or any auction site. So, I’ll hang on to this gorgeous tone machine until the urge to release it back into the wild returns.

Happy Autumn, all!

Roli

User Info Menu

that's what I did on my L4. After putting it "on sale" for a stupid low price with little interest, I said, "screw that" and decided to keep it.

User Info Menu

I can't believe Roli's TF and Jack's L-4 were not instantly scooped up. Both superb Gibby's at a smoking good price.
    And this is JGF where jazz guitars are the main focus here.
    I can only blame this on Bidenomics ? and everyone is just broke (no offense to my dear lefty friends).

I can see why Gibson stopped making archtops when you can't even sell one on a jazz guitar site.

Both these guitars will doubtfully ever be made again. The death of the archtop saddens me. Nothing else floats my boat.

Both totally stand up no risk sellers too.....man I wish I was 10 years younger and needed these fine examples.

Sorry guys - 2 people are really missing out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    I can't believe Roli's TF and Jack's L-4 were not instantly scooped up. Both superb Gibby's at a smoking good price.
    I can only blame this on Bidenomics ? and everyone is just broke (no offense to my dear lefty friends).

I can see why Gibson stopped making archtops when you can't even sell one on a jazz guitar site.

Both these guitars will doubtfully ever be made again. The death of the archtop saddens me. Nothing else floats my boat.

Both totally stand up no risk sellers too.....man I wish I was 10 years younger and needed these fine examples.

My 401k has made more during the biden era than during any administration history so if this is bidenomics, I'll take it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post

I think it is demographics, not economics. The demographic that likes high end archtops is aging out. Like JZ and Roli,we are mostly selling and not buying. I am not quite ready to pair down my guitar collection yet, but watching the slowdown in archtop sales informs me that if I wait too long, the values of my guitars may diminish. That said, like Roli and JZ, I am still here and I can still enjoy my guitars, so it is all good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    I think it is demographics, not economics. The demographic that likes high end archtops is aging out. Like JZ and Roli,we are mostly selling and not buying. I am not quite ready to pair down my guitar collection yet, but watching the slowdown in archtop sales informs me that if I wait too long, the values of my guitars may diminish. That said, like Roli and JZ, I am still here and I can still enjoy my guitars, so it is all good.
    Yep, in the other forums, younger guys are spending $3k-$5k on headless mayones guitars. Old jazz guys are retiring and dying out and the young lions are playing solid bodies or semi-hollows.

User Info Menu

I did my sell my 1977 Gibson Super 400ces to a fantastic young player named Raphael Silverman here in NYC. He's been playing it at every gig and just loves it. There's hope yet!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
    that's what I did on my L4. After putting it "on sale" for a stupid low price with little interest, I said, "screw that" and decided to keep it.
    Something just isn’t right when an L-4, priced significantly lower than a custom shop plank guitar, won’t sell. My wife or kids will have to sell my L-4 as I don’t ever plan to as long as I can still play it! The Tal has a slightly broader neck that strains my left hand a little but it plays like buttah and sounds so rich and mellow, I will endure. No pain, no gain. I agree with Joe D: if there arose a situation where I could only have one guitar, it would be the Tal.

User Info Menu

This is a relatively painless place to sell an archtop, but it's only going to reach a small audience, and there's not that many new members, most here might already have what they want, need or can afford to buy.
    TGP is loaded w rockers, also a small audience for an archtop.
    Aside from dealer's websites, Reverb and Ebay are the places the average person looks for guitars, but they'll get their cut so you might not net what you want going that route. There's no guarantee they'll sell quickly on auction sites but they have by far the highest traffic/visibility.