The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Reverb Sale Link Below:
    https://reverb.sale/Michael-Stevens-...m-Shop-Founder

Michael Stevens is a legend. He FOUNDED the Fender Custom Shop and created what is today the best era of Fender since the start. He is a renowned luthier and vintage guitar expert whose works are collected and played by everyone.

I own this 1990s "LJ" which was at one time a Fender production guitar (YES in the LP shape). This one was made in his "Alpine TX" days (these are more coveted and considered higher quality). It has nicks and was rewired but overall no breaks and most importantly it is ridiculous sounding. FULL and RICH. LOADED with overtones. A typical hum guitar will sound like a piezo next to this.

The wait list for a new one is 4-5 years. Michael Stevens LJ - Made by Founder of Fender Custom Shop-img_9414-jpg New to this Forum but thousands of references.
    w

Below is a link to my Reverb Ad with lots more photos, description, details

Just a moment...
    Last edited by Tradarama; 06-10-2024 at 07:32 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This looks like it could use a hand:Just a moment...

User Info Menu

What is that tagline that shows instead of the link?

User Info Menu

It's just a feature of the forum software.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
    This looks like it could use a hand: Just a moment...
    Not from that listing though....

Listed: 10 months ago
    Offers: 0

Hello, Earth to Seller! No one will buy it at anywhere near your asking price!

Here's one that's been up there a year, price lowered by 25% (who knows when) but still no offers:

Fender-masterbuilt-greg-fessler-custom-shop-primavera-telecaster-madison-roy-artwork

But some guitars have been up there for 3 years, "just a moment" indeed!

This is interesting, why are they displaying a right handed guitar and calling it left handed?

Jimi-hendrix-woodstock-fender-custom-shop-stratocaster-4-of-4-ever-made

Oh, I see, the strings are strung upside down, must be what Jimi did.
    Last edited by Mick-7; 06-10-2024 at 11:00 PM.

User Info Menu

thats cheep! only 22k, add 200 for ship

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post

Here's one that's been up there a year, price lowered by 25% (who knows when) but still no offers:

Fender-masterbuilt-greg-fessler-custom-shop-primavera-telecaster-madison-roy-artwork

This is interesting, why are they displaying a right handed guitar and calling it left handed?

I wouldn't be so sure. There was a time when Michael Stevens was one of the most respected builders on the planet. This guitar is from that era and it's being sold by someone who earned a lot of goodwill and trust in those days. The whole thing does feel a bit 20 years ago, but then there still a few of us left from that era who are likely to smile when they see this ... and as I always told my wife when were selling one of our many homes, when you only have one to sell, you only need one buyer.

User Info Menu

[...]
    [...]
    The cigarette scorch marks on the headstock mark show where the top of the headstock is and show that the guitar was played left handed. I guess most jazzers do not do that: Putting a burning cigarettes between headstock and strings. My Thorndal strat has those scorch marks as well, signs of natural rock guitar aging LOL. (3.5 years smoke-free now BTW. Hooray!)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure. There was a time when Michael Stevens was one of the most respected builders on the planet. This guitar is from that era and it's being sold by someone who earned a lot of goodwill and trust in those days. The whole thing does feel a bit 20 years ago, but then there still a few of us left from that era who are likely to smile when they see this ... and as I always told my wife when were selling one of our many homes, when you only have one to sell, you only need one buyer.
    None of the $20,000+ solid body guitars on Reverb appear to be attracting that "one buyer." I suspect the pool of potential buyers is very small and growing smaller every day. If you're wealthy, there are far better things to invest your money in than guitars, and unlike a house, you cannot live in one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head View Post
    The cigarette scorch marks on the headstock mark show where the top of the headstock is and show that the guitar was played left handed. I guess most jazzers do not do that: Putting a burning cigarettes between headstock and strings. My Thorndal strat has those scorch marks as well, signs of natural rock guitar aging LOL. (3.5 years smoke-free now BTW. Hooray!)
    True, I've never seen cigarette burns on an arch-top but now that I've said that, someone will post a picture of some old jazz guitar with such burns on the headstock.

User Info Menu

My new friend...I didn't join this Forum to start arguing with folks nor did I join to be crapped on. Do you think perhaps we can just keep the discussions to other threads and maybe consider not crapping on 'For Sale' threads...especially from new Members who presumably are getting a first impression of the Membership here?....just a thought.

User Info Menu

Maybe, just maybe, Dirk should bring back the requirement that one have a history of 50 posts or more, other than stuff for sale, before posting stuff for sale in stuff for sale.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Maybe, just maybe, Dirk should bring back the requirement that one have a history of 50 posts or more, other than stuff for sale, before posting stuff for sale in stuff for sale.
    For whatever it's worth there are several of us on this site who have known this seller for many years. He may not have history here, but he's been a reputable seller for a very long time and I really don't think he's done anything objectionable with this listing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tradarama View Post
    My new friend...I didn't join this Forum to start arguing with folks nor did I join to be crapped on. Do you think perhaps we can just keep the discussions to other threads and maybe consider not crapping on 'For Sale' threads...especially from new Members who presumably are getting a first impression of the Membership here?....just a thought.
    I simply quoted your Reverb listing stats and pointed out that a lack of response to a listing is a clear sign that the asking price for the item is higher than the market will bear. I said nothing at all derogatory about the guitar or about you the seller. Personally (if it was my ad) I would consider that to be constructive criticism, however impertinent. If you regard it as "crapping on you," you must have lived a sheltered life.

Best of luck with your sale, I'm sure it's a lovely guitar. Is it suitable for playing jazz and thus advertising here? That I wouldn't know.

User Info Menu

Tom Ribbecke put up a prototype Pinbridge Halfling steel-string acoustic guitar with a regular centred soundhole for sale on Reverb personally asking for $1250. Mr. Reputable bought it and put it back up for sale on Reverb asking for $5995 initially and lowered it to $4850 subsequently. Perhaps Tom Ribbecke really undervalued his own prototype.

The For Sale section was started as a courtesy to participants here who contributed to make this forum a lively place. The history of 50 posts or more requirement was set up to prevent people from posting whose only contribution is putting up stuff for sale. It was also set up to prevent confidence tricksters and grifters but that did not help as some did get through.

It might be time to restipulate it.

User Info Menu

Well, there is another LJ for sale on reverb.com for $25,000. This one might be a bargain in that context. It's a pretty unique design and seems to be made with fine woods. I don't know if the market will support those kinds of prices for these guitars or not; I can't afford one, so it's not my issue either way. Good luck with the sale!