The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I love taking the esthetics of freeform playing and applying them to a standard tune such as this one. I keep the melody front and center as the anchor- it’s the essence of the tune after all, so it’s the loose rhythmic flow and harmonic liberties where I can focus on textures and other various ideas that move beyond the basic song. The form (after the intro) is intact, within the loose rhythmic approach, so pushing against this is the most fun with all the counterpoints, multi-line, and harmonic alterations. This is all completely made up on the fly. Once and done. Thanks for listening.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut

I love taking the esthetics of freeform playing and applying them to a standard tune such as this one. I keep the melody front and center as the anchor- it’s the essence of the tune after all, so it’s the loose rhythmic flow and harmonic liberties where I can focus on textures and other various ideas that move beyond the basic song. The form (after the intro) is intact, within the loose rhythmic approach, so pushing against this is the most fun with all the counterpoints, multi-line, and harmonic alterations. This is all completely made up on the fly. Once and done. Thanks for listening.
    I am without words. Amazing how with all the cool stuff going on you still kept the melody out front. Masterful!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Downstrokes
    I am without words. Amazing how with all the cool stuff going on you still kept the melody out front. Masterful!
    Those were nice words. Really, thanks for listening!