Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 67

User Info Menu

Alright. Let’s hit it.

a personal favorite of mine.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sounds like a turn to resolve the first bar. Wasn't someone saying those were important?

User Info Menu

I'm finding that getting the correct timing of the triplet in the first bar is very difficult. I'm listening to the original recording and trying to play along.

Edit: I think it sounds better if you slide into the first note "D" from the "C" above.

Good stuff, thanks for posting the thread.

Bebop heads — Dewey Square-dewesy-square-1st-bar-png
    Last edited by GuyBoden; 07-25-2024 at 08:03 AM.

User Info Menu

You could use a simplified version for bar 1.

Bebop heads — Dewey Square-dewey-square-1st-bar-simple-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    I'm finding that getting the correct timing of the triplet in the first bar is very difficult. I'm listening to the original recording and trying to play along.
    You're not alone

User Info Menu

You could use a simplified version for bar 1.

Bebop heads — Dewey Square-dewey-square-1st-bar-simple-png
    How dare you

User Info Menu

These guys are playing a B natural rather than a C in that triplet: G-Eb-B-F, not G-Eb-C-F (like the arpeggio over the F7 in measure 5). That's a little easier to play (sweep pick at 5th fret).

User Info Menu

Many thanks, an Augmented triad triplet works, but the triplet is very fast indeed.

Bebop heads — Dewey Square-dewey-square-aug-triad-triplet-png
    Attachment 114221

Here's the 1st bar slowed down.
    Last edited by GuyBoden; 07-26-2024 at 09:46 AM.

User Info Menu

Many thanks, an Augmented triad triplet works, but the triplet is very fast indeed.

Bebop heads — Dewey Square-dewey-square-aug-triad-triplet-png
    Attachment 114221

Here's the 1st bar slowed down.
    Slowed down it doesn't sound like a triplet to me. Sounds more like an eighth note followed by two sixteenths. Am I wrong?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop
    Slowed down it doesn't sound like a triplet to me. Sounds more like an eighth note followed by two sixteenths. Am I wrong?
    Depends on how it's phrased, I've heard it played both ways - but at the speed it's usually played, doesn't really matter.

In Parker's recording, he is playing the note C in the triplet, not B natural, as is Roy Hargrove. In fact, Kanan and Bernstein are the only ones I've heard who play B instead.

User Info Menu

I'm inclined to finger the triplet like so, easiest to pick this way, what do you think? (fingerings are on top)
    Attached Images Attached Images Bebop heads — Dewey Square-dewey-square-01-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop
    You could be right, that's why I posted the slowed down version, but my ears are not the best.

I'm keeping it simple (see below) and have moved onto playing the next part of the phrase. But, a fast triplet works too, because it's too fast to comprehend.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7
    Depends on how it's phrased, I've heard it played both ways - but at the speed it's usually played, doesn't really matter.

In Parker's recording, he is playing the note C in the triplet, not B natural, as is Roy Hargrove. In fact, Kanan and Bernstein are the only ones I've heard who play B instead.
    I misspoke. I’m thinking of the augmented arpeggio in m5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    I misspoke. I’m thinking of the augmented arpeggio in m5
    I imagine that only hard core listeners like us would know or care whether it was a B or C.

I wouldn't think you anti- or non-pinky players would get far with this one - or most Bird tunes for that matter, they call for the 5-fret span fingering approach. And call me hard-nosed but I consider changing the lines to make them easier to play to be cheating.

User Info Menu

After a bit of fiddling about, I've found the first measure plays best (for me) on the bottom 3 strings, starting 12th fret. I'll see how well that transitions to measure 2.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Old Nick
    After a bit of fiddling about, I've found the first measure plays best (for me) on the bottom 3 strings, starting 12th fret. I'll see how well that transitions to measure 2.
    12th fret? Don't see it, 7th fret, sure (first note D on G string, etc.). How will you get to the last note in the triplet?

Or perhaps you mean play the first 3 notes in the phrase on the D string? - with the triplet played on the A & low E strings.

User Info Menu

Ist 2 notes on D string, second 2 on A, third 2 on E...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Old Nick
    Ist 2 notes on D string, second 2 on A, third 2 on E...
    So you're jumping down to the 8th fret to play the last C in the triplet? I would call that inefficient, or at least it will become so at higher tempos.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7
    So you're jumping down to the 8th fret to play the last C in the triplet? I would call that inefficient, or at least it will become so at higher tempos.
    Call it what you like. I'm just sharing where I'm at with it. You do you, man

User Info Menu

Slowed down 1st phrase from original Parker version.

I hear a C-Db slur.

Last edited by GuyBoden; 07-28-2024 at 04:50 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm definitely hearing a grace note C-Db, but, I'm still unsure about the triplet.

Notation below:

Bebop heads — Dewey Square-dewey-square-1st-phrase-png
    Last edited by GuyBoden; 07-28-2024 at 04:50 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm hearing a grace note C-Db, but, I'm still unsure about the triplet.

Notation below:
    Yes, they slur into the Db, but horn players do that a lot.

User Info Menu

Re triplet Miles is splitting it with the Bird. Bird is just playing heavily dotted eighths C-Bb-G-Eb I think. Miles is playing a triplet. At least I think that’s what I’m hearing.

Pete and Mike Kanan put the B (Cb ACSHUALLY) in to fit the Ab-7 chord in the next bar maybe. It’s nice to have that note in there.

Miles wasn’t great at details in learning tunes was he lol? (I can relate haha) he’s often playing slightly different notes to Bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

First four with some noodling:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Miles wasn’t great at details in learning tunes was he lol? (I can relate haha) he’s often playing slightly different notes to Bird.
    Yes, on those early recordings they made, it's not clear why Bird hired him.

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    First four with some noodling
    You missed playing it up an octave at the 10th fret. And you're in danger of tripleting out there... triplet madness?