The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

What is the best way to memorize melodies and how many keys do you REALLY need to know them in? I'm asking specifically for melody because I'm pretty good with chord progressions.

So, I've read through some old threads that are sort of the same topic (but more about memorizing songs in totality).

What I do is memorize the melody relative to the song structure. Autumn Leaves ... 1st of Gm, up the scale, leads to 3rd of Cm, up the scale, 1st of F, up the scale, and so on...

I'll try and do this is in 2 keys/positions, but still I screw it up. So, at my level absolutely no more than 3 keys.

Is there a better way? The way I look at it, there's X options...

1) What I mentioned before, memorizing the melody based on each notes relation to the chord you're on.
    2) Memorizing the melody based on the parent key. So for Autumn Leaves, it would be thinking of every note of the melody as a degree of Gm or Bb.
    3) Muscle memory and visual. Useful but limited.
    4) Trusting your ears to find the next note.

I suspect the answer is a combo of all the above, but would like to hear a few suggestions. How do you guys really drill in melodies, beyond, playing it in one position, one key 1,000 times.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I learn the lyrics and sing the melody while I practice (or try to figure out by ear) the changes. The lyrics are helpful for the phrasing and for the form.

Bruce Forman recommends to learn the changes relative to the melody. He compares the melody to a clothesline that you hang the chords on. And that is somehow like I always have done it no matter what style of music I play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head View Post
    I learn the lyrics and sing the melody while I practice (or try to figure out by ear) the changes. The lyrics are helpful for the phrasing and for the form.

Bruce Forman recommends to learn the changes relative to the melody. He compares the melody to a clothesline that you hang the chords on. And that is somehow like I always have done it no matter what style of music I play.
    Thanks.

That is generally what I already do, though I do the reverse, I see the melody within the chords.

I do sing along as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jobabrinks View Post
    Thanks.

That is generally what I already do, though I do the reverse, I see the melody within the chords.

I do sing along as well.
    The melody is the song, not the changes.

See the melody linearly, or in as close to one position as possible?

Thoughts?

User Info Menu

See the melody linearly, or in as close to one position as possible?

Thoughts?
    I assume by linearly you mean along strings or string sets rather than in position?

Definitely string sets for me unless it’s super technical, like a bebop head or something.

Listening to the song a ton, chunking the chord changes so that they’re in blocks that align with the form rather than thinking one chord at a time, singing the melody and playing it across single or pairs of strings (which makes me actually think about the melody rather than using muscle memory to get it).

I also like to alternate between melody and improvising or chording in two or four measure chunks. So coming in and out of the melody makes your melody looser and breaks the muscle memory, and also makes your soloing more tied to the melody. So that’s fun.

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    I assume by linearly you mean along strings or string sets rather than in position?

Definitely string sets for me unless it’s super technical, like a bebop head or something.

Listening to the song a ton, chunking the chord changes so that they’re in blocks that align with the form rather than thinking one chord at a time, singing the melody and playing it across single or pairs of strings (which makes me actually think about the melody rather than using muscle memory to get it).

I also like to alternate between melody and improvising or chording in two or four measure chunks. So coming in and out of the melody makes your melody looser and breaks the muscle memory, and also makes your soloing more tied to the melody. So that’s fun.
    Linearly would be moving the melody of say Autumn Leaves Gm starting at the 10th fret and then hitting then coming back to Gm on the 3rd fret following the shapes of which you can see all the roots.

One position would be playing it all in 7th position Gm, in which case you'd have to see all of the different inversions without a symmetrical moving roots, which is harder.

I've 'mostly' done it the first way. I 'can' see the value of the 2nd.

User Info Menu

Linearly would be moving the melody of say Autumn Leaves Gm starting at the 10th fret and then hitting then coming back to Gm on the 3rd fret following the shapes of which you can see all the roots.
    Not sure I follow. Where are you playing the melody when you do this?

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    Not sure I follow. Where are you playing the melody when you do this?
    This is what I am talking about.

Moving the melody and positions to meet descending the chord changes.

On a side note, I do believe I was taught this and to do it on a higher octave by teachers, though I suspect learning it in one position is valuable too.

Last edited by jobabrinks; Today at 11:09 AM.

User Info Menu

I learn the first couple of lines of
    lyrics with the tune then feel my way through the rest

hear it
    sing it
    play it (or fumble through it)

it gets easier the more you do it