The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

The votes are in and our next tune will be Scrapple From the Apple.

We’ll take four bars each week. So this week we’ll be learning m1-4 … ending about halfway through bar four, the second half of which is a pickup to the next phrase.

From there, I think we can probably learn the second four bars, along with the three alternate endings, since there isn’t much difference in each A section. Then maybe we give the B section the ole college try, four bars at a time there. It’s a doozy.

Don’t think anyone needs any help finding Charlie Parker’s version, so here is my favorite non-Bird rendition (he is of course quoting Bird’s improvisation over the B section here, which is awesome for all those people who say Jim isn’t a chops player):

For those of you who didn’t participate in our tour of Donna Lee, that’s all right here:

Bebop heads: Donna Lee

The tempo is your own. Whatever you like to post — clips of you playing, fingering charts or questions, using it for vocabulary, etc. The only caveat is that we’re primarily talking about the melody here, it whatever direction that leads you.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Think I got it. Working off the Oscar Peterson, Getz, Mulligan version.

Sucks how fast you forget. But things are easier to learn the 2nd or 3rd time.

Bars 1-4 Scrapple From The Apple

User Info Menu

^ Country boy Allan!

Uh I'm not sure the melody is accurate. :P

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Timmons View Post
    ^ Country boy Allan!

Uh I'm not sure the melody is accurate. :P
    Probably, back to using my ear and making mistakes.

User Info Menu

Here's a version I recorded a couple of years ago. Some of the notes are incorrect. I'll try and get a new recording done once I've finished with Billie's Bounce.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    The votes are in and our next tune will be Scrapple From the Apple.

Don’t think anyone needs any help finding Charlie Parker’s version, so here is my favorite non-Bird rendition (he is of course quoting Bird’s improvisation over the B section here, which is awesome for all those people who say Jim isn’t a chops player)
    Even the great Jim Hall had trouble playing the head cleanly, which is encouraging.

I thought his intro was odd for a bop tune until I heard Dexter, from whom he borrowed it - I think I'll swipe Dexter's intro too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    Even the great Jim Hall had trouble playing the head cleanly, which is encouraging.
    *eyebrow raised*

Pretty clean to me

User Info Menu

*eyebrow raised*

Pretty clean to me
    At, say, 23-24 seconds into the YouTube clip?

But I haven't played this for a long time, I'll have to revisit it.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    At, say, 23-24 seconds into the YouTube clip?

But I haven't played this for a long time, I'll have to revisit it.
    Sounds clean enough to me. For whatever it’s worth, that’s immediately after he plays his cool countermelody line.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersoul View Post
    Cool, I also struggled not to keep paying through the head. Unlike Donna Lee, I kind know this one so I wanted to keep going.

User Info Menu

Sounds clean enough to me. For whatever it’s worth, that’s immediately after he plays his cool countermelody line.
    I don't know, I used to have that LP, and transcribed some of it, don't recall his guitar tone being so dark, like he's using gain on his amp? - muddles the sound a bit.

User Info Menu

Scrapple — alternate fingerings and vocabulary

User Info Menu

For better or worse, I'm copying the head for Scrapple from this Tenor Sax version on youtube, I find it easier to hear, also I can read the notation of the parts I can't hear.

I've just started, I've memorised 8 bars in a few keys.

Thanks for starting the thread, Scrapple has some great usable licks.

User Info Menu

Scrapple — alternate fingerings and vocabulary
    So why do you go to the 5th or b2 on the bridge? Are you treating the A7 as a V and the V of the V would be a ii? and the b2 would be a tritone?

I mean playing E- lick over the A7.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    So why do you go to the 5th or b2 on the bridge? Are you treating the A7 as a V and the V of the V would be a ii? and the b2 would be a tritone?

I mean playing E- lick over the A7.
    Yeah so that’s just two common ways to apply minor sounds.

Simplest form, you get E G B which is 5 b7 9, and then Bb Db F which is b9 3 b6 over the dominant chord. So minor licks with those relationships to a dominant chord will give you those sounds.

Or like you were alluding to I think … easier way to think of it is the ii chord of the dominant, and then the ii chord of its tritone

User Info Menu

If you have a minor lick you like, you can get obviously use it over a minor chord, but you can also use it over dominant off the fifth of the chord, major off the sixth, or half diminished off the third.

There are other sounds (third or seventh of the major, etc etc etc) but those are the staples.

So that’s a minor lick:

Minor chord - play it off the root
    Major chord - play it off the sixth
    Dominant chord - play it off the fifth
    Half diminished chord - play it off the third

User Info Menu

Fixed the melody, got a few fingerings.

User Info Menu

Yeah so that’s just two common ways to apply minor sounds.

Simplest form, you get E G B which is 5 b7 9, and then Bb Db F which is b9 3 b6 over the dominant chord. So minor licks with those relationships to a dominant chord will give you those sounds.

Or like you were alluding to I think … easier way to think of it is the ii chord of the dominant, and then the ii chord of its tritone
    I’m glad my question made sense. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Run through I did like 2 months ago. I tried to play it 'pianistic'. I might work it up again and try to do the Bird bridge. There are too many threads to participate in! Standards, bluez, ballads, bebop, and rhythm changes. Sheesh.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Timmons View Post
    There are too many threads to participate in! Standards, bluez, ballads, bebop, and rhythm changes. Sheesh.
    Don’t forget rhythm guitar.

I really like it. The forum feels revitalized to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    Don’t forget rhythm guitar.
    Oh no. Yeah, I have to work on that too.

I really like it. The forum feels revitalized to me.
    I agree.
    Last edited by Bobby Timmons; 06-22-2024 at 12:36 AM.