The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 57

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    On piano? How does that work, do you strum the strings inside the piano?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If panasonic doesn't mind, here's something to help get the melody together. It can be downloaded and sped up or down as you wish. Do it for a couple of days slowly till it's firmly in your brain and you'll definitely be much more likely to get it right when up to speed.

Bebop heads - Scrapple From the Apple-igr-score-jpg

(IMPORTANT EDIT: the second B of the triplet in bar 6 is natural so the notes are A Bb B. The program didn't notate it for some reason but the midi plays it okay. I just noticed it).
    Last edited by ragman1; 06-28-2024 at 09:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    Do it for a couple of days slowly till it's firmly in your brain and you'll definitely be much more likely to get it right when up to speed.
    That triplet feel on the eighth notes won’t speed up well. Better to play them straighter at the slow tempo since they’ll straighten out as they speed up. Playing the triplet swing eighth at the slow tempo will make the faster tempos feel awkward and the ceiling a lot lower.

(Don't ask me to do it, I think it's masochistic )
    Wouldn’t dream of it.

User Info Menu

Here's my first go, messed up the triplet in bar 6 a bit..I'll work on that..

First video post..hope it works

User Info Menu

Here’s the first A of Scrapple, and another pass through the changes with part of that second four. Playing Bb and E major over the Gm C7, then F and Bb for the F and Bb. Gb for the D7. Over the bridge it’s G Db, C Gb, F B, Bb E

Im at the beach so … weird light, no metronome, acoustic guitar, out of practice, etc

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    That triplet feel on the eighth notes won’t speed up well. Better to play them straighter at the slow tempo since they’ll straighten out as they speed up. Playing the triplet swing eighth at the slow tempo will make the faster tempos feel awkward and the ceiling a lot lower.
    I copied the head from this. I haven't tried it myself, just recorded the midi. The midi doesn't slur anything and plays triplets note for note. I'm sure that makes a difference. Incidentally, the RB version (same notes) leaves the bridge blank.

Bebop heads - Scrapple From the Apple-sfta-jpg
    Last edited by ragman1; 06-28-2024 at 09:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I wanted to do the bridge. Frankie Lanaro, forum member, did it here and I got inspired.

edit: upon relistening it’s not the Parker bridge. lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post

edit: upon relistening it’s not the Parker bridge. lol
    Whoopee, you can do your own. Much more fun :-)

User Info Menu

Whoopee, you can do your own. Much more fun :-)
    Well, the point is to learn Parker’s so my own will sound better.

User Info Menu

I copied the head from this. I haven't tried it myself, just recorded the midi. The midi doesn't slur anything and plays triplets note for note. I'm sure that makes a difference. Incidentally, the RB version (same notes) leaves the bridge blank.

Bebop heads - Scrapple From the Apple-sfta-jpg
    The other thing about this version is that the note sequence in measures 2 and 3 is different from the RB ed.5 sheet. Which is correct?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Old Nick View Post
    The other thing about this version is that the note sequence in measures 2 and 3 is different from the RB ed.5 sheet. Which is correct?
    Peter said this one was wrong. I did not check his claim, and he also didn’t say if the RB was correct.

User Info Menu

Dont know off the top of my head. What’s the difference?

The one posted here looks pretty much right.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    Peter said this one was wrong. I did not check his claim, and he also didn’t say if the RB was correct.
    Ooooh right. A couple notes in the bridge are off. A section looks okay though?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    Dont know off the top of my head. What’s the difference?

The one posted here looks pretty much right.
    Note sequence measure 2:
    RB: E-C-Bb-A
    This one: G-C-Bb-A

Measure 3:
    RB: Bb-F-D-C-Bb-A-F-G-Db
    This one: Bb-F-D-Bb-G-A-F#-G-Db

There may be other discrepancies but haven't gone further to check

User Info Menu

Note sequence measure 2:

Measure 3:

I play the a section more or less like this one is written I think

User Info Menu

As far as I can tell, all the other notes in A match up but the indicated phrasing is a bit different here and there, nothing huge.

User Info Menu

The best source for Bird heads IMO is "Charlie Parker Tune Book : Transcriptions by Fred Parcells".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head View Post
    The best source for Bird heads IMO is "Charlie Parker Tune Book : Transcriptions by Fred Parcells".
    Thanks, good to know. This version matches with the posted sheet above and disagrees with the RB version. Back to the beginning for me.

User Info Menu

Note sequence measure 2:

Measure 3:

It sounds to me like Dexter Gordon plays the first version (the Real Book one) on the album Our Man in Paris.
    It also sounds like Charlie Parker plays the second version (the this one).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersoul View Post
    It sounds to me like Dexter Gordon plays the first version (the Real Book one) on the album Our Man in Paris.
    It also sounds like Charlie Parker plays the second version (the this one).
    Fantastic

Can I ask which one you play?

User Info Menu

Fantastic

Can I ask which one you play?
    lol, I go back and forth. They're both cool.

On the little clip I posted (#9) I first played the Dexter version, then corrected myself and played the Charlie Parker version for the rest of the time. I say something like, "or like this" in between.

Although I always play the F# and not the F in the third measure. I'm pretty sure that's what Dexter's playing. It's harder to tell with Bird, because there's also a trumpet in unison and it's all slurred.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersoul View Post
    lol, I go back and forth. They're both cool.

On the little clip I posted (#9) I first played the Dexter version, then corrected myself and played the Charlie Parker version for the rest of the time. I say something like, "or like this" in between.

Although I always play the F# and not the F in the third measure. I'm pretty sure that's what Dexter's playing. It's harder to tell with Bird, because there's also a trumpet in unison and it's all slurred.
    Sounds like there isn't a 'wrong' version. I'll stick with the 'Dexter' since that's my parrot's name . Thanks much for your insight.

User Info Menu

The Charlie Parker Omnibook has the same notes as the Real Book (I)

"I'll stick with the 'Dexter' since that's my parrot's name."

Maybe he could scat sing it for us?

P.S. - Note: the chart you posted must be from an older edition of Real Book I, because it has different notes than the Charlie Parker Omnibook. The 6th edition of Real Book I has, as I said, the same notes as the CP Omnibook - and same as the Colorado Cookbook lead sheet.

From RB 1, 6th edition:

Bebop heads - Scrapple From the Apple-scrapple-apple-real-book-vol-1-6th-edition-jpg
    Last edited by Mick-7; Yesterday at 06:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Cool. So 3 varieties in print..so far.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    The Charlie Parker Omnibook has the same notes as the Real Book (I)

"I'll stick with the 'Dexter' since that's my parrot's name."

Maybe he could scat sing it for us?

P.S. - Note: the chart you posted must be from an older edition of Real Book I, because it has different notes than the Charlie Parker Omnibook. The 6th edition of Real Book I has, as I said, the same notes as the CP Omnibook - and same as the Colorado Cookbook lead sheet.

From RB 1, 6th edition:

Bebop heads - Scrapple From the Apple-scrapple-apple-real-book-vol-1-6th-edition-jpg
    Hmm … I transcribed it many moons ago and play it like this one I think, except the D natural in m3 I play as an F natural. And the D on the and of 4 in m1 is maybe not even audible in the recording? It sounds right but definitely a ghost note. I usually play it.