The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

We had a great Deep Dive with Tim Lerch last Saturday.

Tim is such a nice guy, very knowledgeable too.

Here is a short clip where Tim talks about the tonic, subdominant and dominant families and more. Enjoy!!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Why is this video showing Tim playing left handed?I'm assuming it's some kind of YT bug.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nyc chaz View Post
    Why is this video showing Tim playing left handed?I'm assuming it's some kind of YT bug.
    He's obviously not playing left-handed and it's obviously not a YouTube bug. Come on

User Info Menu

Is this video showing his right hand fingering the fretboard.I don't know about you but i call that left handed.Come on back at you.

User Info Menu

I first heard the min7b5, as used at the beginning of this vid, by Martin Taylor doing Don't Get Around Much Anymore in the 90s.
    I didn't know about reharmonisation then and thought WTH is that? and why does that sound so good?
    Works well at the start of Pennies from heaven.

User Info Menu

Zoom will do that unless you set it to “mirror”.

User Info Menu

Is this video showing his right hand fingering the fretboard.I don't know about you but i call that left handed.Come on back at you.
    it APPEARS that he's playing left handed but he's not.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker View Post
    We had a great Deep Dive with Tim Lerch last Saturday.

Tim is such a nice guy, very knowledgeable too.

Here is a short clip where Tim talks about the tonic, subdominant and dominant families and more. Enjoy!!

Great post.
    To all the de - railers - Time to get back on topic please!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pawlowski6132 View Post
    it APPEARS that he's playing left handed but he's not.
    That's why it is YT causing it which is what said.Calm down next time and try not to be so nasty in your response.

User Info Menu

That's why it is YT causing it which is what said.Calm down next time and try not to be so nasty in your response.
    It's not YT. Try not to be so...biting my tongue. Drop it. You don't know what you're talking about.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy View Post
    Great post.
    Agreed.

Can someone explain why he says the #IV m7b5 acts as a tonic??

For example in the key of G, a Dbm7b5 doesn't sound good in a II V I subbing for the tonic.

I think of Dbm7b5 => Bbm6 or Eb9 type of sound but not a tonic.

User Info Menu

It's not YT. Try not to be so...biting my tongue. Drop it. You don't know what you're talking about.
    Get some help,to get this worked up over my original post is absurd to say the least.Continue fighting on because i am out.

User Info Menu

Agreed.

For example in the key of G, a Dbm7b5 doesn't sound good in a II V I subbing for the tonic.

Dbm7b5 is the tritone substitution of Gmaj.
    The notes are: Db Fb Abb Cb
    Enharmonically: C# E G B
    That's G6#11. Would work particularly well as the Lydian chord in Dmajor.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175 View Post
    Dbm7b5 is the tritone substitution of Gmaj.
    The notes are: Db Fb Abb Cb
    Enharmonically: C# E G B
    That's G6#11. Would work particularly well as the Lydian chord in Dmajor.
    So, I see what you're saying but...isn't the Tritone used to create tension and dissonance? Isn't it used to LEAD to the tonic?? Not be the tonic.

In other words, if you sub the tritone of chord, it needs to resolve to something. Right??

User Info Menu

So, I see what you're saying but...isn't the Tritone used to create tension and dissonance? Isn't it used to LEAD to the tonic?? Not be the tonic.

In other words, if you sub the tritone of chord, it needs to resolve to something. Right??
    You are talking about tritone sub of a dominant perhaps? But here it is a major chord.

A substitution always preserves the fundamental role of a chord, whether it's tritone substitution or other kind of substitution. Otherwise it's not a substitution. Tritone of a dominant is a dominant (a more edgy one). Tritone of a major chord is a major chord (again a more edgy one), but that doesn't mean it functions as a dominant and needs to resolve.

User Info Menu

You are talking about tritone sub of a dominant perhaps? But here it is a major chord.

A substitution always preserves the fundamental role of a chord, whether it's tritone substitution or other kind of substitution. Otherwise it's not a substitution. Tritone of a dominant is a dominant (a more edgy one). Tritone of a major chord is a major chord (again a more edgy one), but that doesn't mean it functions as a dominant and needs to resolve.
    10-4. Up to now, I've only heard about a tri-tone sub being used as a primary or secondary sub and just assumed that was the only appropriate use of a tri-tone sub.

User Info Menu

Bars 7 and 8 of Martin Taylors chord melody of Don't Get Around.... in Dmajor.
    On the word 'more' :
    | Abm7b5/Gm7/ | D(f# in bass) /// |

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy View Post
    Great post.
    Tim gives the example of Just Friends going to Bbm7 - Eb7. He doesn't agree with any analysis of this as ii-V in Ab. His reason is that in terms of Ted Greene's 'expanded scale' idea, those two chords can be considered as the iv and the bVI7 of F. I can't really disagree with that especially when he qualifies it by contextualising it in terms of arranging.

But from the point of view of improvising over that tune, it doesn't seem as helpful as treating Bbm7 - Eb7 as a ii-V of Ab especially when we consider that Ab is a minor third above F which to my ears, is usually a good thing.

Am I missing something important from Tim's analysis?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irishmuso View Post
    Tim gives the example of Just Friends going to Bbm7 - Eb7. He doesn't agree with any analysis of this as ii-V in Ab. His reason is that in terms of Ted Greene's 'expanded scale' idea, those two chords can be considered as the iv and the bVI7 of F. I can't really disagree with that especially when he qualifies it by contextualising it in terms of arranging.

But from the point of view of improvising over that tune, it doesn't seem as helpful as treating Bbm7 - Eb7 as a ii-V of Ab especially when we consider that Ab is a minor third above F which to my ears, is usually a good thing.

Am I missing something important from Tim's analysis?
    Bbmin Eb7 is the backdoor progression. It happens in many tunes including Rhythm Changes.
    Literally no one would say it's ii V to Ab, lol.
    Tim Lerch is strawmanning here a bit I think.

User Info Menu

Bbmin Eb7 is the backdoor progression. It happens in many tunes including Rhythm Changes.
    Literally no one would say it's ii V to Ab, lol.
    Tim Lerch is strawmanning here a bit I think.
    I don't know if he is. He seems quite animated about it. I agree no one would say that its ii V to Ab, for the simple reason it doesn't go to Ab. But treating it as if it was a ii V while improvising seems as valid as treating it as the backdoor progression, even if you're not a sax player

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irishmuso View Post
    I agree no one would say that its ii V to Ab, for the simple reason it doesn't go to Ab.
    Playing devil's advocate here but a ii V that doesn't resolve is just a non-functioning dominant (so you shouldn't alter it).

User Info Menu

The harmonic motion in Just Friends, the A section, I just see as being chromatically decending minor tonalities.

The written chords: BbM7 | Bbm7 Eb7 | FM7 | Abm7 Db7 |
    can be thought of as: Gm/Bb | Bbm | Am/F | Abm

Instead of trying to figure out how Abm -> Db7 relates to the key of F. It's just part of the descending motion. It's all headed back down to Gminor (the first chord of the B section)

User Info Menu

Agreed.

Lydian tonic.
    In G major
    C# (#11), B (3), E (13), G (root).

If it sounds as a tonic or not depends on the context and chord position, voice-leading etc.
    It contains only 4 notes - two of them belong to the root triad of G
    And E-G-B makes an E minor triad which is very close relative to tonic in jazz context.

C# - E makes a C# minor triad, which is quite out of G.

The question is if you can make it sound tonic putting proper notes in proper context.

Another important point: to me jazz harmonic context is quite open originally due to the nature of the genre and later modal expansions made it almost totally free... you can sub practically anything for anything and often it is just the matter of conviction and confidence.

For some (and especially for the player) omitted bass root is still implied in inner hearing, for others there is not enough context to hear it... there will always be someone who says: I do not hear it like that...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah View Post
    Lydian tonic.
    In G major
    C# (#11), B (3), E (13), G (root).

If it sounds as a tonic or not depends on the context and chord position, voice-leading etc.
    It contains only 4 notes - two of them belong to the root triad of G
    And E-G-B makes an E minor triad which is very close relative to tonic in jazz context.

C# - E makes a C# minor triad, which is quite out of G.

The question is if you can make it sound tonic putting proper notes in proper context.

Another important point: to me jazz harmonic context is quite open originally due to the nature of the genre and later modal expansions made it almost totally free... you can sub practically anything for anything and often it is just the matter of conviction and confidence.

For some (and especially for the player) omitted bass root is still implied in inner hearing, for others there is not enough context to hear it... there will always be someone who says: I do not hear it like that...
    In her tune "Mother of the Dead Man" Carla Bley uses the #ivm7b5 IM7 move in both directions.

at bar 5 it goes Gmaj7#11/B to C#m7b5
    Tim Lerch on Reharm-screenshot-2024-06-20-12-46-12-png

and then later, at bar 13 it goes the other direction, from C#m7b5 to Gmaj7#11.
    Tim Lerch on Reharm-screenshot-2024-06-20-12-53-49-png
    I often voice it as Gmaj6 to C#m7b5
    3x545x
    x4545x

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersoul View Post
    In her tune "Mother of the Dead Man" Carla Bley uses the #ivm7b5 IM7 move in both directions.

at bar 5 it goes Gmaj7#11/B to C#m7b5
    Tim Lerch on Reharm-screenshot-2024-06-20-12-46-12-png

and then later, at bar 13 it goes the other direction, from C#m7b5 to Gmaj7#11.
    Tim Lerch on Reharm-screenshot-2024-06-20-12-53-49-png
    I often voice it as Gmaj6 to C#m7b5
    3x545x
    x4545x
    The tricky thing is that G is not tonic here. The whole tune is more like a bluesy modal harmony though it involves typical function ii - Vs (I think it is quite common for many modal tunes of the period (Along Comes Betty, Falling Grace have also lots of functional ii-v's but in the context it is a modal harmony, these ii-v's are more like separate 'harmonic shells' there)

In the first case C#m7b5 to F# sounds like a typical minor ii-V (to B minor - though it skips resolution it still sounds very typically).

Though partly it really works a bit as a sub for G because this is a repeat of the phrase and that turnaround shows up in place of G chord.
    But it is also very typical for functional harmony as modulation.
    In C major it could be like I - I - IV - IV// I - I - vii7b5 (ii in a minor) - III7 (V in a minor) => a minor

Also natural major VI chord followed by ii - V7 is very typical for European traditional/urban/romance tunes in minor keys as a half cadence turnaround
    In a minor: F - B7b5 - E7...

In the 2nd case it looks interesting. I check the records and I do not hear it distinctively
    To me this G sounds more like an approach to F#7 (which works as kind of 'fake' V chord here)
    So basically the same turnaround in minor only ii is skipped.
    But G here really sounds more like a bass added to C#m7b5

The whole tune is a mix of blues/minor blues/chanson vibe in more modal layout