The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 66 of 66

User Info Menu

For me, I find that there are a bunch b9's in the dominants(not all) but don't wanna use any because it makes the comp a bit more..
    crybaby-ish.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    That’s not Greek that’s Berklee-ese

I don’t hear no Plato arguing to ban no mixob9b13 from the plebs*

I will accept dominant b9 b13 may be a pretty good name because at least it goes with the chord symbol.

*due to the intense sense of problematic cultural stereotyping it promotes among the lower orders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thinking "7b9b13 chord" gets me where I want to go and, if I change one note I don't need to travel to a different part of Ancient Greece to name it properly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar View Post
    Thinking "7b9b13 chord" gets me where I want to go and, if I change one note I don't need to travel to a different part of Ancient Greece to name it properly.
    I mean the joke is none of the names correspond to the modes the Greeks were talking about anyway - it all got scrambled over the centuries.

A lot of musical development came from people trying to copy the Greeks and getting it wrong.

User Info Menu

This is a nonsense thread and I'm surprised this question is being asked. In any case it was answered quite early on.

The melody note over that A7 is a natural B, loud and clear. So the chord is either an A9 or a straight A7. Playing a b9 or a #9 is obviously going to conflict. You could perhaps alter the 5th, especially as the next chord is a Dm. So an A7#5 (A7b13) would be fine. But altering the 9, definitely not.

User Info Menu

The Kraken Awakes!

User Info Menu

"This is a nonsense thread"

Yes, marvelous isn't it?! Nonsense threads are always the longest - usually at least 3 pages.

"T'was brillig and the slithy toves.... Oh frabjous day, callooh, callay!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    "This is a nonsense thread"

Yes, marvelous isn't it?! Nonsense threads are always the longest - usually at least 3 pages.

"T'was brillig and the slithy toves.... Oh frabjous day, callooh, callay!"
    Mark Twain, now James Joyce?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    Lewis Carol, surely?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CliffR View Post
    Lewis Carol, surely?
    Ah you’re probably right. Has Finnegan’s Wake vibes though.

User Info Menu

Ah you’re probably right. Has Finnegan’s Wake vibes though.
    I tried, but couldn't get past the first page of that . (Enjoyed Ulysses however.) I just googled the poem and noticed it uses the word 'gyre' which I recall being mentioned as a word with unknown meaning in the context of another poem by Yeats. I wonder if he lifted it from Carol?

User Info Menu

I tried, but couldn't get past the first page of that . (Enjoyed Ulysses however.) I just googled the poem and noticed it uses the word 'gyre' which I recall being mentioned as a word with unknown meaning in the context of another poem by Yeats. I wonder if he lifted it from Carol?
    I tried too. Couldn’t pay me to try again. Dubliners and Ulysses I liked quite a lot though.

User Info Menu

I tried too. Couldn’t pay me to try again. Dubliners and Ulysses I liked quite a lot though.
    A Portrait Of The Artist is worth a go if you haven't already. The writing style matures as does the narrator, but it's far less 'showy' or experimental than Ulysses. I have to say, I read some of your stuff too Peter and really enjoyed it .

User Info Menu

I always liked The Pogues more than The Dubliners.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

EDIT: It had escaped me that Shane McGowan died last November.
    Last edited by Bop Head; 06-25-2024 at 11:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Ask Charles McPherson about how Barry Harris always stressed the importance of having a brilliant general education.

User Info Menu

Lewis Carol, surely?
    Yes, Carroll, and a quote of his that would apply to this forum is:

“You're mad” said the Cheshire Cat

“How do you know I'm mad?” said Alice.

“You must be,” said the Cat, “or you wouldn't have come here!”

User Info Menu