The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 62

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scout View Post
    Cheers Allan,
    We're having our first play together tomorrow afternoon... we'll see how it all goes..
    What do you mean by 'flipped' ?
    First chord Bb? Your sheet.

First chord C? Her sheet.

By the way, if you dig her, this confusion is great practice for a long relationship together.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It can be confusing. When a tenor player plays a note that looks to you like a C -- the note that comes out of the horn will be the pianist's Bb.

So, if you're reading a song in the key of Bb and the tenor reads over your shoulder, the tenor will sound a step too low. That is, when they read your Bb, you will hear Ab.

But, if the tenor reads a chart in C, then their C will sound like your Bb.

The RB comes in a Concert version, meaning what the piano, guitar and other C instruments need. It also comes in a version for Bb instruments like trumpet and tenor. There are also Eb instruments, like Alto sax and there's a version for them.

I know lots of horn players. A few transpose like machines. But, some working pros aren't really good at it. It varies. Usually, they can do it, but not like a machine.

User Info Menu

"It can be confusing" .. you got that one right mate ..I'm hoping that when we have our first play together tomorrow,all of the above will make sense ... once we hear each others' instruments together ,our ears should tell the story ... thanks RP .

User Info Menu

She says she will still have to transpose,even though the tune is in Bb
    It's her problem, not yours.

You can play in Bb, as written, because the guitar is a concert instrument. She has to play it in C because she's playing a Bb instrument. That means whatever she plays will sound a tone lower than you.

So she has to transpose up into C. Her problem, not yours. If she can't do it she'll have to learn. Sad but true.

Her best bet it to learn the tune in C, not try to read and transpose at the same time. There are plenty of books for Bb instruments with the tunes already transposed.

User Info Menu

Mind you, the unfairness of it all is mitigated by the fact that, for her, playing in C is actually easier. Us poor guitarists have to play in awkward keys like Bb to keep up with the tenor sax players!

You might remind her of that :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    It's her problem, not yours.

So she has to transpose up into C. Her problem, not yours. If she can't do it she'll have to learn. Sad but true.
    Or you could do the transposing and let her play it as written for her instrument. That way you get to practice transposing.

User Info Menu

Or you could stand on your head with a banana in your ear

User Info Menu

For me to do the transposing on Guitar would be far too painful .I've committed about 25 jazz standards to memory and to start again ,with me in the twilight years (73) ,I'm just not up for it.
    Best plan for me would be to learn new tunes in hex Sax friendly keys think .I'm OK with that .

User Info Menu

"It's her problem, not yours." .. I'm beginning to think you may have a point there mate ..

User Info Menu

"It's her problem, not yours." .. I'm beginning to think you may have a point there mate ..
    I mean … depends on who wants to play the song.

If you want to play I’ve Got Rhythm and don’t bring the music people need to play it, then it’s your problem not hers.

User Info Menu

I don't agree at all. Sax players know they have to transpose if they want to play in concert. It's up to them to get their stuff together.

Who is this female? Old or young? Experienced or beginner? Even if it's just hobby stuff she still needs to know the process, not ask everyone else to bend over backwards for her.

Like I said before, there are plenty of books for Bb instruments, pre-transposed.

User Info Menu

Here you are. I Got Rhythm in C for Bb instruments. The things I do.

User Info Menu

Scout,

Generally all you need to do is learn how to transpose.... down a Maj. 2nd for Bb instruments.
    Meaning you see a Bbma7 chord or Bb, D, C notes you play it down a Maj. 2nd .... An Abma7 chord or Ab, C, Bb notes.

And down a Min. 3rd for Eb instruments. Meaning you see a Bbmaj7 chord or Bb note..., you play Gmaj7 or G note.

Technically it just becomes mechanical. You do need to be able to sight read.

Also many players think Roman Numerals for changes... I VI II- V7 etc..

Whats fun is on a gig ...give a Eb instrument a Bb part lol.

Think like your playing a Blues in Bb. You can probable easily play that blues in Ab or G, F, Eb etc...
    Last edited by Reg; 06-28-2024 at 03:32 PM.

User Info Menu

I don't agree at all. Sax players know they have to transpose if they want to play in concert. It's up to them to get their stuff together.
    And this works for you? When you play jazz tunes with other people?

Be honest now

User Info Menu

Yeah and it's up to the bandleader to bring what they need to make the music happen.

If you want to play it, you should bring it (or be okay compromising).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    And this works for you? When you play jazz tunes with other people?

Be honest now
    Once, at a show I put together at Brighton Art College some years ago. The sax player, a girl called Charlotte, was brilliant, no problem at all. We played Billies Bounce, certainly not her only tune. She went to the US later.

Any other questions?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    Yeah and it's up to the bandleader to bring what they need to make the music happen.

If you want to play it, you should bring it (or be okay compromising).
    If I was a sax player I'd come prepared, like Charlotte.

I'm not suggesting that scout and his player come into that category but it's a lesson she should learn at whatever level she's at. Scout should not have to transpose anything, the tune's in Bb, not Ab. So she plays it in C.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post

Generally all you need to do is learn how to transpose..
    So all your bands have to transpose to fit in with non-concert instruments? I don't think so. Why should they? And what happens when there's a Bb and an Eb instrument? What then?

Say you've got a combo like piano, guitar, bass and drums. And a sax player. And the sax player says' Oh, god I've got to transpose this up a tone. I can't do that so you'll all have play to fit with me'. And you'll have to do that for every tune...

I'd get a better sax player :-)

User Info Menu

If I was a sax player I'd come prepared, like Charlotte.
    "Assume everyone will do as I would do," is the worst possible advice you can give someone.

Assume no one will do as I would do and prepare for that situation, is somewhat better.

User Info Menu

I wouldn't play with people like that. And if I went in making demands I wouldn't expect to be there very long.

About 10 minutes, I should think

User Info Menu

I used to go to this club. Lovely people but the standard wasn't high. Lots of guitars. You could start a song and it was okay for other people to join in.

That's when you realised they were not only out of tune with you but with themselves as well... Great stuff :-)

User Info Menu

"Assume everyone will do as I would do," is the worst possible advice you can give someone.

Assume no one will do as I would do and prepare for that situation, is somewhat better.
    And I guess the very best advice is "bring the correct music for what you want to play."

User Info Menu

And I guess the very best advice is "bring the correct music for what you want to play."
    Obviously.

User Info Menu

And if I went in making demands I wouldn't expect to be there very long.
    ... erm ... my point exactly.

User Info Menu

... erm ... my point exactly.
    Well, not quite.

So I have to arrive prepared for a bunch of unprepared idiots playing different stuff? Nope, sorry. Mind you, there are occasions when it could be all right to adjust but it would seriously depend.

FWIW, I don't think I've ever gone unprepared to any gig or studio. We knew exactly what we were going to do and did it.