The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Posts 251 to 259 of 259

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Good ear. And some people can listen to Dolphy and hear nothing jazz like in his playing.
    Archie Shepp's music with Dennis Charles and Steve Lacy and Cecil Taylor are very bebop to me. I love it.
    Dolphy is a badass, IMO. For some reason the the other "free jazz" players haven't resonated with me in the same way. I enjoy it some times when I am in the mood for something out there.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Timmons
    On H?
    Yeah, that's how I " imagine Charlie Parker would have done it."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RLetson
    I go away to music camp for a week and come back to a cross between a bar fight and a faculty meeting*. Geez.
    I believe the technical term for that is ‘academic seminar.’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    Yeah, that's how I " imagine Charlie Parker would have done it."
    Better score some.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    I would need a fair lot of time to unpack the issues you’ve raised. But I don’t want you to go answered. All forms of music are difficult and require years of dedicated application of skills. What and how we practice has everything to do with the results. People often refer to natural ability or gifts that make it easier for some, however, I truly belief that the appearance of ease is an illusion and that the real factor boils down to whether the musical expression being pursued is authentically attuned to the being presuming to practice it. It’s cultural, genetic, social, situational, geographic and temporal. For me it would be no more authentic to play Gregorian chants than to play bebop though dabbling in the forms is education and developmentally supportive for me. Still, what will be my music? The Freeform I play is completely different than say the Art Ensemble of Chicago. Completely and totally different! I play straight ahead jazz too, but it sounds nothing like Wes. Maybe a bit more like Jom Hall, but still- jazz is a music of individuality that’s synchronous with like minded but not identical voices who collect themselves in various so called styles. Where did we all fit in? That’s the big question.
    This is deep. A thoughtful post from someone who's spent a lot of time refining his art. 'Finding your voice' explained. As the quote goes "Don't worry about that. Do the work and your voice will find you"

To say it another way: folks who find modal music boring and too easy usually can't play a half decent solo on So What. When the music doesn't resonate or feel genuine to the player BS usually happens.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I think the sort of thing I have in mind when I say ‘theory’ is the kind of videos you get from people like Rick Beato ‘What makes this song great’ when he tells you Kurt Cobain wrote a great melody because it has the extensions of chords in it. This is music appreciation via arithmetic.

In that vein I try to keep things anchored to something that at least feels practical and connected to how a musician may have conceptualised things (which is questionable of course). So I think Cobain in the verse of Smells like Teen Spirit has a bluesy melody here using mostly minor pentatonic notes but adding a very striking 9th/2nd of the key at the end of the line. He may not have known the names of the notes even, but I feel he would have recognised the coolness of that 9th, and that this was a key aesthetic choice to include it.
    to save me from having to watch a Rick Beato video, what is the 9th in the melody? is it the "hello, hello, hello, how low" part?

there is this weird proto version of Smells Like Teen Spirit. The melody is different and I don't think he really has many of the words yet, he's just making vowel sounds. But I'm guessing the 9th is there from the beginning (I'm assuming that it's the hello part)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersoul
    to save me from having to watch a Rick Beato video, what is the 9th in the melody? is it the "hello, hello, hello, how low" part?

there is this weird proto version of Smells Like Teen Spirit. The melody is different and I don't think he really has many of the words yet, he's just making vowel sounds. But I'm guessing the 9th is there from the beginning (I'm assuming that it's the hello part)

Load up on guns, bring your friends
    It's fun to lose and to *pretend*
    She's over-bored and self assured
    Oh no, I know a dirty *word*

It’s the ninth of the key, but if you are looking at the CotM, it’s actually a little different (the note is sustained over the I chord though.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    1. Get VERY high.
    2. Play all day long.
    3. Blow like mad at the gig that evening.
    4. When some jive cat asks you what you played, tell him it's called "Epistemology." Try not to laugh when you are saying this.
    5. Over the coming weeks, observe other musicians and the music press trying to cop "Epistemology."
    6) Homework: Be the music press yourself! Be a music journalist for a day! Write a review on "Epistemology"!

User Info Menu

7) Extra Credit: Reread this whole thread from a "Hearing Theory" perspective