The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Had totally forgotten about that one haha. Though I liked the original stuff with Hubert Sumlin more. But I listened a lot to the Muddy Waters and the Bo Diddley sessions from the same series.

I had to compare the Let It Bleed version of LIV (more Country & Western for me but I like it nonetheless; Ry Cooder plays mandolin on that album BTW) with the original -- and now I am wondering: Am I hearing right that Johnson plays a blues with a II V?

The live Stones version is way better than the album version

Yes I hear it too. Sometimes I think the main difference between prewar jazz and blues was instrumentation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Am I hearing right that Johnson plays a blues with a II V?
    Yes, and not only that; the "IV" in this song sounds like there's no 3rd, just an added 5th, so what with the ambiguity of the bass note, it may not be a IV at all (gonna leave that one to the theory junkies)

So, if you give this the standard I-IV-V treatment, you're going to completely change the nature of the song. Wait, isn't that precisely what the Brit Blues boys did with a lot of this old material?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I listened to that Howlin' Wolf London Sessions record obsessively as a teen
    IMO, the best Strat tone that Eric Clapton ever achieved is on I Ain't Superstitious from that record, channeling Hubert Sumlin (who was also a guest on the album at EC's insistence). I wouldn't be surprised if the track was a fave of the young Robert Cray:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    This is also an ideal source for an Ethan Iverson rant or two! I’m sure there’s one on DTM.

EDIT: Boom! But of course
    The History of the Blues…Scale? (guest post by Asher Tobin Chodos) | DO THE M@TH

Blues is of course an idiom above all. All great blues players understand that and ground their music in the oral tradition, but I wonder if jazzers do (mea culpa)

Thanks for the link, Christian. I'd somehow missed that one.

Fascinated to see Winthrop Sergeant's presentation of the blues scale:

Observations about the blues vocabulary of the 1920s-1940s.-sargeant_scale-jpg

If one can reduce musical vocabulary to a scale (the equivalent of reducing speech to an alphabet), that's pretty much where T-Bone Walker lives.

From a purely theoretical viewpoint, it's a combination of the minor pentatonic and major hexatonic and contains both the major and relative minor blues scales - C, D, Eb, E, G, A / A, C, D, Eb, E, G. The first of these gets a lot less press than the latter but it's a basic ingredient in the lines of T-Bone's musical heir, BB King.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    IMO, the best Strat tone that Eric Clapton ever achieved is on I Ain't Superstitious from that record, channeling Hubert Sumlin (who was also a guest on the album at EC's insistence). I wouldn't be surprised if the track was a fave of the young Robert Cray:
    It was the only Clapton I liked at the time. I was a Peter Green man.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the link, Christian. I'd somehow missed that one.

Fascinated to see Winthrop Sergeant's presentation of the blues scale:

Observations about the blues vocabulary of the 1920s-1940s.-sargeant_scale-jpg

If one can reduce musical vocabulary to a scale (the equivalent of reducing speech to an alphabet), that's pretty much where T-Bone Walker lives.

From a purely theoretical viewpoint, it's a combination of the minor pentatonic and major hexatonic and contains both the major and relative minor blues scales - C, D, Eb, E, G, A / A, C, D, Eb, E, G. The first of these gets a lot less press than the latter but it's a basic ingredient in the lines of T-Bone's musical heir, BB King.
    Also Lester young,
    And naturally Charlie Christian

User Info Menu

I should sue you all for triggering and re-traumatising me into my teenage angst years LOL.

On a more serious note, I think it is interesting to look back musically from time to time and see what and how stuff still resonates in you.

User Info Menu

And on a even more serious note and back to the OP's topic:

Even in the very early blues recordings there where two streams: the more modal, "more African" stuff and the more sophisticated ("jazzier"?) stuff. People like Robert Johnson would play both.