The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

I wanted to spin off a thread on Secondary Dominants that came up in the thinking theory thread to talk about it some more.

Most of the theory I know I picked from Andy Jaffe's Jazz Harmony

Secondary Dominants are very common in music from Bach to Jazz. One replaces a diatonic chord with a dominant seventh to create a stronger sense of movement to the next diatonic chord.

For example in a turnaround, I-VI7-ii-V7 the VI7 chord is a secondary dominant.

The way I think about pitch collections over secondary dominants is that you keep all the pitches that are diatonic to the key except for those that were changed to make the dominant chord

So, if I am playing in C major over an A7 that is followed by the ii, I would still play C major but replace C with a C#.

The way I use this concept is to mostly experiment with lines with an emphasis on the non-diatonic note. By playing these notes in lines, it makes the harmony pop a bit more (as opposed to playing completely diatonic).

Of course one could just say, emphasize chord tones and get to a similar place but the secondary dominant can lead you to focus on the one or two notes that are non-diatonic.

Other examples:
    In the blues, we can think of the I7 as secondary dominant in bar 4 (and maybe that is part of the reason that it sounds good to not really emphasize the b7 in measures 1-3).

The bridge in RC is an extended chain of secondary dominants.

Anyways, TLDR, understanding secondary dominants are simple way to think about some dominant chords in Jazz that one can use to experiment with building lines.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yea... that's just the basic starting point. Which can reflect a basic Reference, (the VI7 being a secondary dominant of a Diatonic target. ) and relationship with the simple somewhat vanilla development of that Relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Yea... that's just the basic starting point. Which can reflect a basic Reference, (the VI7 being a secondary dominant of a Diatonic target. ) and relationship with the simple somewhat vanilla development of that Relationship.
    That's kind of the point, though. I got the impression that people think that secondary dominants are super advanced or useless. For me they are a simple concept.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charlieparker
    That's kind of the point, though. I got the impression that people think that secondary dominants are super advanced or useless. For me they are a simple concept.
    Well, the trouble (challenge) starts when you alter the 7th chords or use substitutes for them.

User Info Menu

For example in a turnaround, I-VI7-ii-V7 the VI7 chord is a secondary dominant.

The way I think about pitch collections over secondary dominants is that you keep all the pitches that are diatonic to the key except for those that were changed to make the dominant chord

So, if I am playing in C major over an A7 that is followed by the ii, I would still play C major but replace C with a C#.
    If you want to improve that even more, remember A7 is the V of Dm so it's a minor ii-V. Drop any B naturals you might be tempted to use to Bb (as well as using the C#). That'll give you the right minor sound. Then go back to the major afterwards.

User Info Menu

Really?

I think they are pretty essential for understanding standards chords progressions. That said, I learned about them reading a classical theory text book. And leading tone diminished chords.

And I am often surprised at what they do and don’t teach on jazz courses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Really?

I think they are pretty essential for understanding standards chords progressions. That said, I learned about them reading a classical theory text book. And leading tone diminished chords.

And I am often surprised at what they do and don’t teach on jazz courses.

Theyre usually the first thing after diatonic chords, from the jazz theory books I have. So kind of the same place you’d find them in classical theory.

Hard to find a tune that doesn’t have a few.

User Info Menu

Secondary dominants are a very simple concept if you know your cycle of fifths (resp. fourths) inside and out -- which should be one of the first things to learn anyway. The tritone subs are found on the opposite side of the cycle (and can be found very easily on the fretboard -- assuming standard tuning -- anyway).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    If you want to improve that even more, remember A7 is the V of Dm so it's a minor ii-V. Drop any B naturals you might be tempted to use to Bb (as well as using the C#). That'll give you the right minor sound. Then go back to the major afterwards.
    Depending on the tune and the style there might be as well natural 9ths as well as minor 9ths on the VI7.

Out Of Nowhere has a natural 9th in meas. 7, All Of Me has a minor 9th in meas. 6 and 22 and a natural 9th in meas. 28.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Depending on the tune and the style there might be as well natural 9ths as well as minor 9ths on the VI7.

Out Of Nowhere has a natural 9th in meas. 7, All Of Me has a minor 9th in meas. 6 and 22 and a natural 9th in meas. 28.
    My Ideal m2, Billie’s Bounce m7

b9 is more common but natural 9 is far from rare

9#5 is a pretty chord

I would be interested to know how many of those secondary dominant b9 chords are bebop-ifications of swing era passing diminished chords

User Info Menu

To my ears Billies bounce bars 7-9 are F6 | A-7 Ab-7 | G-7 not a minor ii v I, so doesn’t really count. Have a listen and see if you agree.

But it does fit the usual changes too.

User Info Menu

To my ears Billies bounce bars 7-9 are F6 | A-7 Ab-7 | G-7 not a minor ii v I, so doesn’t really count. Have a listen and see if you agree.

But it does fit the usual changes too.

Sounds like you’re right.

I’m hearing F Bb B F - …. Bb - A - Ab - G … it actually sounds like maybe the bass is using F# Gb over that chord in the second pass through? Maybe D on the first in the chorus. Piano definitely descending chromatically through Ab- though.

Chet Baker is a ii-V a couple times. Dexter a ii-V a couple times. Also it seems like none of them play the Bdim in bar 6. Piano might do it a couple times but the bass doesn’t seem to much. I like that because I never do. Mostly from laziness but now I can say it’s stylistically correct.

Anyway … Still counts though … ii-7 instead of ii half diminished. Boo.

User Info Menu

It jars with me when, in All of Me, people play C % E9 %.

User Info Menu

Secondary doms , extended Doms, expanded concepts of both.

As Christian mentioned... Dims. Although personally I don't like most of the harmonic organizations which use Dim. based organization because they tend to change Blue note organization. (Obviously they Work... just a personal choice thing)

The difficulty with most when using mechanical harmonic tools to expand the concept ...Tonic or tonal or whatever you want to label "expanding diatonic" ... is just that... they become mechanical.

The simple approach when expanding... is to use Harmonic Rhythm. Which just becomes the rhythmic pulse or rhythmic pattern of the harmony. Also expand that concept with Subdom harmony.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy

I had to play that tune the last couple nights, last night I did a ... blusy rhythmic intro..

// C6/9 A7b13#9 / D9 G7b13 /
    / E-7b5 A7b13 / Ab13 G7b13//
    // C6/9 A7b13 #9/ D-9 G7alt /
    C6/9... drum fill....

Played melody with horn, so pretty straight just heavy swing...

x x 8 7 5 8
    x x 3 4 4 3
    x 3 x 3 5 x

x x 8 9 10 8
    x x 8 9 10 10
    x 8 7 8 8 8

x 7 7 7 7 7
    x 7 x 7 9 x
    x 5 6 6 5 x
    fill
    x x 5 6 7 5
    x 7 6 7 8 x
    x 4 5 4 5 x

x 3 4 3 4 x
    x 4 5 4 5 x
    x x 5 6 6 6
    x x 5 6 6 5

x x 3 5 5 3
    5 x 5 6 6 x
    x 5 3 5 6 x

etc.

generally if you keep the important tonal targets pretty straight, you can actually have fun and open doors for where the tune can go.... disclaimer, I've had to play the tune with way to many vocalist for decades...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Sounds like you’re right.

I’m hearing F Bb B F - …. Bb - A - Ab - G … it actually sounds like maybe the bass is using F# Gb over that chord in the second pass through? Maybe D on the first in the chorus. Piano definitely descending chromatically through Ab- though.
    Quite possibly, I find the bass hard to discern tbh.

My listening suggests that chromatic move was a popular choice for blues changes during this era. My guess is that Parker simply called ‘a blues in F’ on the session and everyone played their own take on the changes.

Otoh bird does use the D7 sound for some of his soloing. So maybe he was thinking of that for the head too! No way of knowing tbh. It fits either version.

Chet Baker is a ii-V a couple times. Dexter a ii-V a couple times. Also it seems like none of them play the Bdim in bar 6. Piano might do it a couple times but the bass doesn’t seem to much. I like that because I never do. Mostly from laziness but now I can say it’s stylistically correct.

Anyway … Still counts though … ii-7 instead of ii half diminished. Boo.
    I’m specifically talking about the Bird version. Slight differences creep in with other versions in the head melody too.

I have sent myself a bit mad listening to BB tbh. Like - is that an E# in bar 8? I think so.

There’s also the famous Eb in bar 2.

Yeah there’s no Bo7 in BB. It stays on Bb7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    Wot like bird in bar 20?

I reckon we think it would jar because we are sensitised to it in our own playing, but in fact we don’t notice it when it’s done well.

Last edited by Christian Miller; 07-14-2024 at 01:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Yes, there are exceptions, like everything else in life, therefore use common sense.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Yes, there are exceptions, like everything else in life, therefore use common sense.
    How about using those two things left and right of your brain and learning to hear the two different tastes?

User Info Menu

Ugh, actually listen to jazz? Why would anyone voluntarily do that?

We’re just here to inflict ourselves on all and sundry.

User Info Menu

Ugh, actually listen to jazz? Why would anyone voluntarily do that?

We’re just here to inflict ourselves on all and sundry.

Is it common sense that listening is overestimated regarding music? Asks a theory cat ...

User Info Menu

Is it common sense that listening is overestimated regarding music? Asks a theory cat ...
    Apparently so! Only nerds listen to music.

User Info Menu

Apparently so! Only nerds listen to music.

Theoretical construction is hip. Ears are for squares. Van Gogh was right.

User Info Menu

... Ears are for squares...
    you have that backwards...

wsj.com