The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Had a fun chat with Steve last night. Anyone fancy writing or improvising with the scale mentioned?
    He's such a nice guy and has some very interesting projects planning including releasing some orchestral compositions!!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I always play sex-a-tonic.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Surprise, the scale already existed ha.

That wasn't the only premise of the clip tho. At the beginning he said he knows what the individual notes sound like anyway regardless of it needing to be outlined by a scale.
    Last edited by Bobby Timmons; 07-18-2024 at 04:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    Had a fun chat with Steve last night. Anyone fancy writing or improvising with the scale mentioned? He's such a nice guy and has some very interesting projects planning including releasing some orchestral compositions!!
    As stated, that's a South Indian scale named purvi that. A purvi that = A-Bb-C#-D#-E-F-G#. You could play it over Gm7(b5)/C7(alt), but it doesn't contain the tonic notes of those chords so one is tempted to add it.

John McLaughlin has used Indian scales for improvisation, especially in his band Shakti. In a past life, I spent some time using the Indian scales for improvisation but concluded it wasn't all that productive - but if I ever decide to form a Shakti cover band, I'll need to learn them again.

User Info Menu

Sounds quite bluesy to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Sounds quite bluesy to me
    Yeah, from the scale's "dorian mode"

That would be: Bb-Db-Eb-E-F-Ab-A. Not bad.

User Info Menu

I'd bunch the chromatics.

1 b2 3 #4 5 b6 7

7 1 b2 3
    #4 5 b6

B C C# E

F# G G#

Have I messed up?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    I'd bunch the chromatics.

1 b2 3 #4 5 b6 7

7 1 b2 3
    #4 5 b6

B C C# E

F# G G#

Have I messed up?
    That would be correct if you started from the 7th degree of the scale, why does that appeal to you?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7
    That would be correct if you started from the 7th degree of the scale, why does that appeal to you?
    Makes it easy to organise and like Saint Christian said 'it's bluesy'.

User Info Menu

C Db E F# G Ab B

Interesting. It has 2 groups of 3 consecutive half steps: F#GAb and BCDb

In skipped note pairs: CE DbF# EG F#Ab GB AbC BDb

In skipped note trios: CEG DbF#Ab EGB F#AbC GBDb AbCE BDbF#

In skipped note quartets: CEGB DbF#AbC EGBDb F#AbCE GBDbF# AbCEG BDbF#Ab

I VI II V in drop II voice led

CGBE CGAbE CF#AbDb BF#GDb

modal Heart and Soul or Rhythm Changes variant.

User Info Menu

If you add the flat third and natural 6th,
    and play its 6th mode, it's a nine tone
    scale called G#/Ab Moorish Phrygian

G# A B B# C# D# D## F# F##
    (G# A B C C# D# E F# G)
    or
    Ab Bbb Cb C Db Eb E Gb G
    (Ab A B C Db Eb E Gb G)

So like Phrygian, but even more(ish)!

User Info Menu

If you add some more notes you end up with the so called twelve-tone chromatic scale. It has 12 modes which all sound the same. Schönberg used it a lot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    If you add the flat third and natural 6th, and play its 6th mode, it's a nine tone scale called G#/Ab Moorish Phrygian

So like Phrygian, but even more(ish)!
    A more moorish scale? Who ordered that!

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    If you add some more notes you end up with the so called twelve-tone chromatic scale. It has 12 modes which all sound the same. Schönberg used it a lot.
    Beware, you're headed into Nicholas Slonimsky land... where there be dragons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    Had a fun chat with Steve last night. Anyone fancy writing or improvising with the scale mentioned?
    He's such a nice guy and has some very interesting projects planning including releasing some orchestral compositions!!

Isn't he basically saying he is playing by ear?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Isn't he basically saying he is playing by ear?
    Theory is an experiment to try if it seems worth exploring to inform your ear, or you can come in the other door with or without theory as in Pauln's case.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7
    [...] Beware, you're headed into Nicholas Slonimsky land... where there be dragons!
    My patron saint is St. George, so I do not fear dragons. And (fortunately) my first (virtual, through his books) jazz mentor was Höfner endorser Werner Pöhlert (I might have told this before LOL), who prevented me from digging too deep into Berklee-oid CST.

EDIT: Of course someone might prefer this over Pöhlert's books. Or this. Or this.

EDIT 2: I just saw that the author of the books I mentioned posted here as well 10 years ago.

EDIT 3: I have to admit that I really like the TeX esthetics of those books with Don Knuth's classic font.
    Last edited by Bop Head; 07-19-2024 at 06:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bako
    Theory is an experiment to try if it seems worth exploring to inform your ear, or you can come in the other door with or without theory as in Pauln's case.

Funny story; not sure if this answers or raises more questions...

User Info Menu

The Cochrane "Beyond Slonimsky" book sounds interesting, but more like dumbing down Slonimsky's work than transcending it.

Two other South Indian scales that have no Western equivalents (that I know of)

Marwa That: 1-b2-3-#4-5-6-7 (in C: C-Db-E-F#-G-A-B)

Todi That: 1-b2-b3-#4-5-b6-7 (in C: C-Db-Eb-F#-G-Ab-B)

And then there is: Hungarian Minor [Todi That w/Nat 2nd & Harmonic minor w/ #4th]: 1-2-b3-#4-5-b6-7 (in C: C-D-Eb-F#-G-Ab-B)

User Info Menu

Here is Steve talking about his Zeus in Chains App. You could be in one of his videos!!