The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 147 of 147

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersoul View Post
    when are we going to get to hear bophead example recordings?
    devastating

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersoul View Post
    When are we going to get to hear Bophead example recordings?
    I just bought 2 SD cards today. I hope they are the right ones for my Zoom H4. I am busy now but tomorrow I will check it out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head View Post
    I just bought 2 SD cards today. I hope they are the right ones for my Zoom H4. I am busy now but tomorrow I will check it out.
    Whew.

User Info Menu

What's an SD card/zoomh4?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758 View Post
    Top of the line handheld recording tech, pre-iPhone 7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    I find that the books I get the most out of these days are more beginner things. The really good ones can pose very different ways of organizing and teaching and practicing that are super useful without introducing a single musical concept I don’t “already know.”

Randy Vincent comes to mind.

Alans book is an oddball in that respect because there’s tons of new info to me but it’s also all very basic and doesn’t have to be hard to play so it lends itself more than others to just sitting on the same concept for a while.

Another thing I like to do is watch the My Music Masterclass two-minute teaser videos and take notes.
    Yeah I almost mention Randy’s book because it’s the one I recommend, but I haven’t lived with it enough to know it as a teaching resource. I really need to remind myself that it has the stuff I tend to teach in it already. Stop reinventing the wheel Christian lol.

Those two minute trailers have all the information I can deal with. I have a few full length ones on my drive, but seriously haha….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Top of the line handheld recording tech, pre-iPhone 7
    I’ve got one somewhere. Haven’t used it for years….

User Info Menu

Oh cool. I don't think I'd have any recordings if I couldn't just use my phone.

User Info Menu

It's all anyone needs, really, Can even go direct. I think the excuses people give for not posting their own playing are a genre of posts in and of themselves. Lots of people can type a great solo and cite advice from books, but won't put their own playing up. I do not pay attention to any advice given by people on here who never post their own playing. They'll claim perfectionism about the recording quality, lost SD cards, whatever... but some people are just all hat and no cattle.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    I’ve got one somewhere. Haven’t used it for years….

Which is why you never post video of yourself

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    It's all anyone needs, really, Can even go direct. I think the excuses people give for not posting their own playing are a genre of posts in and of themselves. Lots of people can type a great solo and cite advice from books, but won't put their own playing up. I do not pay attention to any advice given by people on here who never post their own playing. They'll claim perfectionism about the recording quality, lost SD cards, whatever... but some people are just all hat and no cattle.
    It is funny that there are people who cannot imagine that there are people who do not own a smartphone.

And I do not want one. On the Sunday before last Sunday I was playing guitar at the weekly jam session at Munich's Jazzclub Unterfahrt (that's where I am gonna listen to Peter Bernstein tomorrow) and I was looking at the changes of a song on the bassist's smartphone when suddenly a message appeared (there is mobile reception down there) on the screen covering the first eight LOL. After the jam the bassist looked at my old school phone when we shared numbers and said that he would like to have a simple phone as well that can't do much more than calls and SMS.

User Info Menu

It is funny that there are people who cannot imagine that there are people who do not own a smartphone.
    You don't need a smart phone. Your laptop probably has a web-cam and you can easily capture your playing with that. Most of even the cheapest cameras now have digital video capture. I've been on here long enough to know that people who have something to offer musically, offer it. No excuses or reasons, even if it's a very modest level of beginner/intermediate achievement. It's the music that reinforces the talk, not the other way around.

User Info Menu

| ZOOM

I got one used for 30 EUR recently. It records on SD cards. Audio only.

SD card - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

And I do not want one. On the Sunday before last Sunday I was playing guitar at the weekly jam session at Munich's Jazzclub Unterfahrt (that's where I am gonna listen to Peter Bernstein tomorrow) and I was looking at the changes of a song on the bassist's smartphone when suddenly a message appeared (there is mobile reception down there) on the screen covering the first eight LOL. After the jam the bassist looked at my old school phone when we shared numbers and said that he would like to have a simple phone as well that can't do much more than calls and SMS.
    I didn't mean that or anything of the sort.

User Info Menu

This is the nature of this place.

2,000 posts in, Bop Head will not be recording his playing for you.

Take his advice or don’t.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    You don't need a smart phone. Your laptop probably has a web-cam and you can easily capture your playing with that. Most of even the cheapest cameras now have digital video capture. I've been on here long enough to know that people who have something to offer musically, offer it. No excuses or reasons, even if it's a very modest level of beginner/intermediate achievement. It's the music that reinforces the talk, not the other way around.
    What I have to offer musically I offer live a lot recently. Going to jam sessions playing jazz, blues, funk, afro, reggae etc., to open stages presenting my own songwriter stuff and up to 20 hours of busking every week.

I actually care for recording quality. I have studied sound engineering and done mixing and mastering for others in another live.

Until I can show you a decent recent jazz recording you can only listen to the music I have made in another life.

This for example is the first composition I wrote on my own ca. 25 years ago (I was only playing guitar not singing in that band).

Just to let you know that I am not BS-ing when talking about groove.

But most of the songs where developed together by jamming like this one.

User Info Menu

Time for some Ragman example recordings.
    Delighted. Of what?

User Info Menu

is this still about bIII dim chords or what is even going on?

User Info Menu

| ZOOM

I got one used for 30 EUR recently. It records on SD cards. Audio only. SD card - Wikipedia
    I'm using an older Zoom Model, only problem is they no longer make the Smart Media cards for it (they became Dumb Media cards) so I've had to buy used ones on eBay.

is this still about bIII dim chords or what is even going on?
    Apparently you are unaware of this unwritten forum rule: "Thou shalt not stay on topic for longer than 2 or 3 posts!"

User Info Menu

Which is why you never post video of yourself
    So true

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pawlowski6132 View Post
    I know this is old but, I'm also working through this today so...

Here's is my approach to analyzing this:

1. I like to look at this in context of functional harmony and try to break things down into their most simple forms and functions
    2. Then try understand what the chord's role is. Here's is where the trick or art comes in because there isn't one right answer.
    3. Specifically here, the Bbdim7 is simultaneously three other dim7 chords (I assume everyone here will understand that) including Gdim7.
    4. Gdim7 is also exactly G#7b9.
    5. Functionally - and here's where you'd have to take a leap of faith - If you take the additional tension off the G#7b9, you get a G#7, a dominant VII.
    6. Even strictly speaking the VII in G Diatonic chord scale is G#-7b5, acts as a tension leading to the tonic.
    7. And if we agree that we can treat all the other diatonic minors as dominants to add more tension, we can do the same here.

So, I think that the Bbdim7 in this progression is functioning as a a dominant VII with the purpose to add tension.

Try it, in Embraceble You, instead of the Bbdim7, play G#7. It sounds good.
    Gdim7 is exactly F#7b9