The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Posts 201 to 215 of 215

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    Peter -

Quite right, it's easy to make mistakes with this stuff. I've corrected it.

A harmonic over Abo and Ab A B C D Eb F F# (8-note H-W scale).

I don't disagree that Christian has offered an easily accessible way to solo dim chords. But I think C7 by itself is bland and sharpening the root isn't a real dim scale. I think that was right. But I'm not saying it's invalid. I'm actually much more interested in why the whole thing's such a headache anyway.

So how do you handle dim chords? Have you said that yet?
    As I understand it, the main reason Barry advocated the dominant scale is people have more vocabulary to do with it. He was generally against people getting stuck in the harmonic minor. But you can always put that in. Bebop is obviously full of harmonic minor scales going up and down.

I’ve not read every post so Apols if this has been noted a million times, but running G7 down to G# gives the same pitches as A harmonic minor.

A harmonic minor on Abo7 needs some care with the chord tones. One advantage of Barry way of doing it is it emphasises the notes of the diminished chord. Otoh if you play the appropriate scale over the related 7b9 that also works.

If we were to put the Barry approach into the chord scale blender apparently you’ll end up with a thing called ‘the ultralocrian’ - sounds like a name Steve Vai would come up with lol.

EDIT: I don’t think it’s unfair to say it’s a bland choice. The diminished is certainly more colouristic and interesting. For my part I wanted to find natural ‘inside’ ways of playing these things. I don’t want to morph into John Coltrane everytime I play I Can’t Give You Anything but Love. Otoh dim arpeggios get a bit old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Christian Miller; Today at 05:04 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There’s also the issue of whether or not you are treating the diminished scale as a melodic scale or a source of harmonies.

User Info Menu

Christian -

Thanks for your measured reply. Sanity prevails, at least somewhat. And you appear to have a defender so the age of chivalry is still alive somewhere.

As you said, I'm quite sure that the object of BH's idea, via you, is to give players a simple and effective way to do dim chords. Why not? But probably both of us have explored it ourselves thoroughly.

The harmonic minor has a strange rep. Some don't like it but the bop people seem to use it a lot. Personally, as a sound in itself, I find it a bit twee, more suited to folk music. But it seems to work all right on dim chords in the right place. As I said, I remember sitting in my kitchen many moons ago realising, faced with CM7/C#o, all I had to do was play the Bb and problem over. Nice and bluesy, too.

But, funnily, all these ideas of 'how to play a diminished' get old quickly. They're a bit like the dim chord itself, a sense of being thoroughly unresolved. Maybe the safest way is to realise that no one way is the only way.

There’s also the issue of whether or not you are treating the diminished scale as a melodic scale or a source of harmonies
    Good point. I probably use it - if I use it - melodically, and maybe most people do. I confess to not having explored any other potentials. I take it you mean deriving triads from the scale, etc.

User Info Menu

Christian -

Thanks for your measured reply. Sanity prevails, at least somewhat. And you appear to have a defender so the age of chivalry is still alive somewhere.
    Ah yes. Well, I have always considered myself a champion of defenseless YouTubers.

But really it’s more that your own posts are riddled with kind of basic errors (nine-note symmetrical diminished scale, etc.) On top of which you do tend to drape yourself in quite an authoritative air, like so:

But probably both of us have explored it ourselves thoroughly.
    Just felt like popping the ole bubble once.

Maybe the safest way is to realise that no one way is the only way.
    This one I meet with a resounding “obviously”

As you were.

User Info Menu

I realised long, long ago (long before I'd heard of Barry Harris or anything like that) that if I had CM7/C#o to play all I had to do was just turn the CM7 into C7 and avoid the root.
    so although you say a dim chord is not a dominant, and playing dominant over a diminished is not a great way of doing it, your solution to C#dim is to play C7 over it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    As I understand it, the main reason Barry advocated the dominant scale is people have more vocabulary to do with it. He was generally against people getting stuck in the harmonic minor.
    How does calling a harmonic minor scale a Dominant scale with raised root instead inhibit you from getting stuck in it?!

And it's not a good choice anyway because it has a limited application, works if the Abo/G7b9 is going to C maj. but if it's going to Cm or Gm (which was the progression in question, right?), you'd be better off using some sort of Ab maj. or min. scale, as I said earlier.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    so although you say a dim chord is not a dominant, and playing dominant over a diminished is not a great way of doing it, your solution to C#dim is to play C7 over it!
    I know, that struck me too, but there's no contradiction. I'm not really 'playing a dominant', it's just a handy mental aide to make it fit.

The dim chord appears by changing one note of the dominant but that doesn't mean they're the same chord or type of chord. Any more than the word book changed to cook means the same thing. The moment the root of the dominant is sharpened it stops being a dominant and becomes another chord with another function.

as I'm sure you know!

User Info Menu

I know, that struck me too, but there's no contradiction. I'm not really 'playing a dominant', it's just a handy mental aide to make it fit.
    And the judges come back with a 9.6 on that mental backflip.

User Info Menu

The dim chord appears by changing one note of the dominant but that doesn't mean they're the same chord or type of chord. Any more than the word book changed to cook means the same thing. The moment the root of the dominant is sharpened it stops being a dominant and becomes another chord with another function.

as I'm sure you know!
    It becomes a dominant 7b9 which is still a dominant to me (and to Joe Pass, if I recall one of his videos correctly.)

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Mick-7;1361953]How does calling a harmonic minor scale a Dominant scale with raised root instead inhibit you from getting stuck in it?!

Because if you play the dominant instead, you won'r be playing scale stuff. You will be playing all the dominant vocabulary you've been checking out as a Barry Harris student (that's what we spend a lot of time on). You can just pop in the raised root note at the end, if you like. And then that gives you more freedom to actually play melodies instead of scale patterns or whatever.

Works great! Turns out Barry knew about playing jazz and stuff.

And it's not a good choice anyway because it has a limited application, works if the Abo/G7b9 is going to C maj. but if it's going to Cm or Gm (which was the progression in question, right?), you'd be better off using some sort of Ab maj. or min. scale, as I said earlier.
    No it won't work because you are giving the diminished chord with the incorrect root; how you spell it is important for this because you get four different scales depending on which one you use, right? (which is hip, but that's a little later down the line haha, brothers and sisters.)

You probably remembered the 'dim up a half step' sub formula which works fine if you are playing symmetrical stuff, but in fact as Barry Harris taught, the dim chord on a 7b9 is constructed on the third of the chord, which makes sense right? V7b9 is a 9th chord, root chord + seventh chord on the third like all ninth chords (except anything to do with the altered scale yuck). So we have Bo7 on G7, not Abo7.

Abo7 is the correct diminished chord for E7b9.

You run the Bb7 scale down to the Bo7, or as Barry put it, the third of G7. And this gives you one of the standard bop ways to play a II-V-I.

But also - this is not the context under discussion. We are taking about the bIIIo7/#IIo7 in major. And it works great for that too.

User Info Menu

Actually the thing that is surprising to me is most of the time the dim chords are spelled helpfully in charts to make this work.

So, we can go
    C^7 C#o7 D-7 D#o7 E-7
    to
    C^7 A7b9 D-7 B7b9 E-7
    and back

or

E-7 Ebo7 D-7 G7
    to
    E-7 B7b9 D-7 G7

or

F F#o7 C
    to
    F D7b9 C

And give or take a little enharmony, it works out pretty great for those scale choices. There are a few exceptions (Wave for example) but otw... As I point out in the vid.

User Info Menu

Yeah I think there’s maybe a fundamental misconception about the theory stuff in the first place. Which is to say that—properly used—theory is always just a practical expedient. At least in this kind of music.

The correctness of the notes against the chords is a really superficial version of “correct.” Again … vocabulary is everything. Having convincing, idiomatic, confident lines will make the thing work almost no matter what the thing is.

So like … the fact that the C7 scale over a diminished is just a mental trick for accessing your dominant vocab in a different context isn’t like a theory cheat or something; it’s really the best possible reason for doing theory at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    Yeah I think there’s maybe a fundamental misconception about the theory stuff in the first place. Which is to say that—properly used—theory is always just a practical expedient. At least in this kind of music.
    It’s almost like it’s not actually ‘theory’ at all, but practical information for making music

The correctness of the notes against the chords is a really superficial version of “correct.” Again … vocabulary is everything. Having convincing, idiomatic, confident lines will make the thing work almost no matter what the thing is.

So like … the fact that the C7 scale over a diminished is just a mental trick for accessing your dominant vocab in a different context isn’t like a theory cheat or something; it’s really the best possible reason for doing theory at all.
    Yeah to give a simple example, if you run the “bop scale” down from the root of dominant to the root of the dim chord - for example

D C# C B A G F# E D#
    D7 scale down to D#
    On D#o7/Ebo7 in Cmajor

It just sounds right

Of course Barry was a stickler for understanding the relationship between the chord and the key. In much modern theory it’s just ‘over this chord, use this scale.’ Barry points out that what you play on an E-7 changes if it’s in D major or C major. Obvious really, but ….. it follows it also depends if that Abo7 is in A or C. (Correct enharmony helps too lol, fat chance of that.)

That said I do like the dim scale - I just don’t hear it as the most natural option.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    How does calling a harmonic minor scale a Dominant scale with raised root instead inhibit you from getting stuck in it?!
    Because if you play the dominant instead, you won't be playing scale stuff. You will be playing all the dominant vocabulary you've been checking out as a Barry Harris student (that's what we spend a lot of time on). You can just pop in the raised root note at the end, if you like. And then that gives you more freedom to actually play melodies instead of scale patterns or whatever.
    I don't see why relating it to the dominant scale versus other scales is any less likely to lead to playing scale-like lines - but I don't use scales as an improvisation tool, only as a reference.

No it won't work because you are giving the diminished chord with the incorrect root; how you spell it is important for this because you get four different scales depending on which one you use, right?
    Oh, I was in a different key, thinking of C7b9/Dbo (not G7b9/Abo), as in my post: Embraceable You - second chord in progression

For example:
    Ab Harmonic Major, from Db: (Db-Eb-E-G-Ab-Bb-C). For C7b9/Dbo > Cm7 or Gm7(b5) ... etc.

But if you want a more vanilla sound, then yes, a diatonic scale reference like D minor is your best bet. But only beginning improvisors need a reference for inside sounds, it's the harder to hear outside sounds where a scale/tonal reference can help.

You probably remembered the 'dim up a half step' sub formula which works fine if you are playing symmetrical stuff, but in fact as Barry Harris taught, the dim chord on a 7b9 is constructed on the third of the chord, which makes sense right?
    I think of them all as synonymous: C7b9/Eb7b9/Gb7b9/A7b9 & Dbo/Eo/Go/Bbo.

There’s also the issue of whether or not you are treating the diminished scale as a melodic scale or a source of harmonies.
    I have found it counterproductive to separate the two.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    I don't see why relating it to the dominant scale versus other scales is any less likely to lead to playing scale-like lines - but I don't use scales as an improvisation tool, only as a reference.
    As I say it may be hard to appreciate why if you haven’t worked with it a bit. (Maybe the video is flawed from that perspective, but that’s the problem with videos on YouTube .)

Oh, I was in a different key, thinking of C7b9/Dbo (not G7b9/Abo), as in my post: Embraceable You - second chord in progression

For example:
    Ab Harmonic Major, from Db: (Db-Eb-E-G-Ab-Bb-C). For C7b9/Dbo > Cm7 or Gm7(b5) ... etc.

But if you want a more vanilla sound, then yes, a diatonic scale reference like D minor is your best bet. But only beginning improvisors need a reference for inside sounds, it's the harder to hear outside sounds where a scale/tonal reference can help.

I think of them all as synonymous: C7b9/Eb7b9/Gb7b9/A7b9 & Dbo/Eo/Go/Bbo.

I have found it counterproductive to separate the two.
    So, here’s the thing, I’m not really talking about your process or whatever it is you do.

You (sort of) asked me to explain why Barry taught this way and I’ve tried to.

it is something I use among other stuff. I have no particular personal attachment other than to say - “here is this thing, it is like this, it helped me learn how to play bop reasonably well and handle diminshed chords smoothly.”

(I suppose I don’t tend to assume my own personal process is of much interest to others unless they ask.)

What I do try to do is flag up info that I think has been useful to me. If people want to argue that it’s not in fact helpful, or wrong, or something, that’s not really my concern, take it or leave it. And Barry is sort of heavy bebop deal so not everyone’s thing even if it did work for everyone.

This isn’t really the sort of thing you debate like that, because in the end it’s about the playing, and we rarely discuss it on gigs etc.

Neither do I feel evangelical about it exactly…